News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 04:36:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seems new  (Read 3540 times)

eaglesx4

Seems new
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
Today the Eagle came back from the garage.  I had it towed there May 15 2010.  The clutch master cylinder went out, three master cylinders, two clutch master cylinder rebuild kits, three slave cylinders and 3 slave cylinder rebuild kits later, I have my car back.  I held Eagle 101 with printed copies of the manual and instructions of fixing the car, so far so good.  Only two years behind of my makeover for the car.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Seems new
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Wow a whole year! What was the final verdict? Just bad replacement parts?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
Like a new, driveable car is good!  Yes, what was the issue?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

eaglesx4

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »
I was going someplace and the car made it half way when the pedal when to the floor.  I had it towed to the shop and I found a big puddle of fluid on the grass (which is still dead).  They had put a slave cylinder on it about a week before and put trans fluid in the system.  Honest mistake as it used brake fluid.  It had ate through the medal line to leak out and contaminated the system.  Instead of cleaning they just drained and replaced the fluid.  One minute good clutch next it would be laying on the floor.  This routine went around and around until I printed off the section showing to use brake fluid.  Clean the system with a cleaner and install a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, metal line and hose.   The metal line is available from advance auto under brake lines. 38.00 plus some change.  The manual states to replace both clutch cylinder and slave cylinder at the same time and never hone them out, just replace it if damaged.  They also installed a reservior from an S-10 pickup truck while they had the car.  He has had a continuing chnage of techs, everybody wants paid but nobody wants to work for the money.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
Wow what a bad experience. I think I would have been a little hot. You seem quite understanding. Glad you cruising in the Eagle again.  :hello2:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

eaglesx4

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »
He worked for me when I was a service manager at the Dodge/Jeep store and he is a good tech  He was a little shaver when the Eagle was around.  He has learned that not everybody can work on an Eagle without the book.  I will print out the section he is working on from this point on.  I paid 79.00 for parts he purchased no labor.  Other than not driving it for a year not harm done.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
Ive gotten bad replacment parts too...Its frustrating. Especially if its a part that takes a day to get it out.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk