News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 10:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX4 been sitting  (Read 2214 times)

Offline tophervw69

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
1983 SX4 been sitting
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
Hello all,
I have been on the forums for about 2 years now, and have just been lurking until now.  2 years ago i had purchased an 1983 SX-4 with the hopes of having a reliable ski vehicle.  Unfortunately i did not have the time to really do it right and put in on the road too soon and that started a whole mess of problems. (transfer case, rotting hoses etc.) I decided that this is the car I want and am selling my '88 735i and sticking with the eagle.  Since it has been sitting, are there any things in particular i should do to it? I have done an oil change, thermostat replacement/radiator flush, rubber fuel lines+filter, trans filter and fluid, replaced some brake lines and some coolant hoses as well.  Am i missing anything?   
-Thanks!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: 1983 SX4 been sitting
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
In my experience with cars that have been sitting for a long time the biggest problem is rust/dirt in the fuel tank.  The cars I put back on the road would quickly fill the small factory fuel filter with crap and the car would gradually become unable to run at anything above idle.  Replacing the small factory fuel filter only temporarily resolved the problem and I've gone through perhaps 6 or 8 of the small fuel filters in a couple of hundred miles before the tank was cleared out enough to not be a problem.  After that what I did was buy a number of large clear fuel filters, put one in front of the carb and one immediately after the fuel line comes out of the gas tank and then check the one at the tank every 100 miles or so and see if it needs to be replaced.  After going through a few of these once again the tank is clear enough to not be a problem.

I've encountered this trouble more after a car has been sitting five years or so, after two it might not be so bad on yours.

The other problems frequently encounter, exhaust systems rust out from sitting, carbs plug up, but if your's runs okay at first then it should be fine.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:47:06 PM by priya »

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:22 PM »
If you don't drain your fuel tank and clean at, you should at least to what priya said and put a filter after the tank.  If you dont, then dirt from the tank will eventually render the fuel pump inoperable.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
I also have a large clear plastic fuel filter on my Eagles, right before the fuel pump and of course the factory fuel filter before the carb. Wonder what is really in those? I went with the Napa brand filters.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk