News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 02:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine bay cleanup/repair  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Dowler0515

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Engine bay cleanup/repair
« on: September 08, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
Just purchased a 81 eagle sedan for dirt cheap unfortunately it has sat since 2005 and mice have gotten into everything. From what I can see the previous owner deleted part of the smog system buy cutting and crimping the air tubes. majority of the vacuum lines are unfortunately chewed apart so I was wondering about deleting as many vacuum lines as possible. Also I live in an area with no smog or emissions testing.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Engine bay cleanup/repair
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »
With no emissions testing that you have to go through, you can in theory delete a lot of the vacuum lines, even more if you change to a different carb.  You'll need one for the distributor vacuum advance, one for the brake booster, if you have the selectable 4WD you need one for that, one for AC if your car is equipped with that, PCV needs one.  Others can provide their input on things like the CTO switch, the EGR valve, the little gizmo on the carb if you stay with the Carter....I'm sure I'm missing out on some of the others but that is a start.

Good luck!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Dowler0515

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Engine bay cleanup/repair
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
I know the carb is none electric feedback, and looking around there is no lever for selecting between 2wd or 4wd. The cruise control is shot so that will be removed since I don’t need it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk