News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 05:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heater Box Buzzes  (Read 3835 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Heater Box Buzzes
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:55:23 AM »
Whenever the car is at cruising speed and the cold air vents are closed, the heater box makes a buzzing sound like a reed buzzing. All it takes to make it go away is to open the cold air vents a little, or slide the vent control to OFF.  Part of me thinks it's one of the box seals coming apart but I can't think of much else that could cause the racket but it's amazingly annoying.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Heater Box Buzzes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:37:23 AM »
I had a similar issue with my wagon and it turned out to be some leaves stuck inside the vent doors.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »
For the first few months my heater vents had a distinct aroma of hantavirus, so I really should eventually take the heater box apart to clean out what is almost certainly a mouse nest. Confounded rodentia.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 12:22:58 AM »
Well now I've REALLY done it.
The heater box is sealed with sticky backed foam tape but in nearly 40 years it has perished and left behind the plastic ribbon the adhesive backing is on. THAT is the culprit for the buzzing. The seal on the passenger side vent flap in particular was making the noise and trying to pull the plastic out has caused it to sound EVEN WORSE.
Looks like I'm just gonna have to pull the whole box out and regasket it.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Pulled the heater box today and found insulation plugging the core, a leaking heater core and yes, there is perished foam everywhere. WOW I fell down that rabbit hole fast.
I can source the edge stripping no problem but does anyone have a source for the larger square pieces either in sheets or precut as a kit?

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:58 PM »
Nevermind, it turned out to be easier to just buy sheets of 1/8" and 1/4" foam from a shop and a can of 3M "super 77" spray adhesive. There's about 12 pieces total to replace and it takes about two hours to cut out and glue the new pieces in.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Nice work!  Enjoy the quiet and the warm air, with that new heater core the cabin of your Eagle will warm up in a hurry!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »
Impressive. Oh yes, the work is nice - but really I meant how quickly you are climbing back out of all these rabbit holes!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk