News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extreme time to hit operating temp  (Read 10281 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Extreme time to hit operating temp
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
Its been cold but not that cold mid 40's maybe high 30's. My problem is this it takes a really long time for the eagle to hit operating temp I can't understand it. I have the Weber 34/36 The choke works on high idle but takes about 15-20 minutes to warm up. I can't have this its ridiculous I'm burning through fuel like there's no tomorrow somebody please help 
:banghead:
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

68AMXGOPAC

Re: Extreme time to hit operating temp
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »
Are you talking driveability warm up, or just Temperature warm up ?

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
start with your thermostat. while i ask the same as the previous poster, i had a similar problem in my honda a while back. well, close but the honda would take at least half an hour to warm up and would lose all heat on the highway. turns out the thermostat had actually half fallen apart in the housing when the previous owner had it, and the "valve" had wedged itself sideways, basicly never closing and always allowing passage of coolant.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Have you checked that your choke is properly adjusted? That spring steel in the housing can lose it's "spring" if overheated for long amounts of time and can simply weaken if it's an older unit.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
The same thermostat falling apart thing happened in my XJ -- same symptoms.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of having a little cardboard in front of my radiator if it's a steady below 40. About half of the radiator blocked when it's below 15.

Make sure your fan clutch isn't stuck tight, you should be able to move it without turning the pulley while cold, but it will be a little stiff.

Mostly, though, I agree that the thermostat sounds stuck open.

How does it behave once warmed up?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:21:18 AM »
The choke is properly adjusted and the thermostat is about 2 months old. Its a stant 195 temp thermostat I do not drive any of my cars until they are thoroughly warmed up so its just sitting there in the driveway. Takes at least 15 minutes on a good day to warm up. The coolant is topped off and the water pump is pumping. Once its warmed up there are no complaints it runs like a dream but this initial warm up is really getting to me.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
yea, fan. if its really cold put some cardboard on the front. i know what you mean about a well warmed car. i used to drive my old honda after it was warmed fully. then after thinking im wasting gas i statrted driving it right after it started to show heat but it started to clack really bad and then the clack turned into a knock.  :-\ with this one (different car, similar make, model, mileage) now i just let it hit full running temp before i go and no problems so far
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:36:30 AM by amcinstaller »
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Mine will take a good 20 minutes to warm up if it's just idling. If i drive it, it warms up in about 10 minutes.  It has been shown that a car only needs 30-60 seconds of warm up time to get all the fluids moving. Best way to warm a car up is to drive it. Just don't beat on it while it's cold.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:51:00 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
I dunno if a plug in block heater would help ya out, might not hurt to try
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »
I got to really be honest with you guys, there aren't too many of these cars out there. I hate making bad first impressions, there is no way in heck I am putting a piece of card board in front of the radiator. As if the looks I get now aren't bad enough imagine driving around with a big brown piece of cardboard wedged in front of your radiator thanks for the suggestion but No thanks LOL there's got to be a better alternative we can definitely come up with something better. Is it the clutch fan that causing this??

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
Mineroasts you out of the car in 5 minutes. As for drivability no problem. One pump. Turn key.

Tink715'seagle same thing. Minus the first few minutes the idle is high

Manitowoc WI

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
The Eagle and the Concord, at an idle, do take some time to warm up
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
I got to really be honest with you guys, there aren't too many of these cars out there. I hate making bad first impressions, there is no way in heck I am putting a piece of card board in front of the radiator. As if the looks I get now aren't bad enough imagine driving around with a big brown piece of cardboard wedged in front of your radiator thanks for the suggestion but No thanks LOL there's got to be a better alternative we can definitely come up with something better. Is it the clutch fan that causing this??
you could paint a piece of cardboard black ;D just me looking on the sunny side
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Ouch -  lots of bad advice about the necessity to warm up the Eagle in proper condition for longer that a few minutes.
An Eagle or any vehicle that is warmed up for more that a few minutes is being worn out much quicker than the following method.   Imagine me getting into my 82 Eagle in Edmonton at -24 C.
Pump gas twice, turn key, jumps to life, clean windshield of snow or ice. (say 4 minutes)
Drive away without using high revs.  This also works at -39 C in the Canadian Arctic. Cabin heat in 3 blocks of slow driving.

By idling for 10, 20, 30 minutes the fluids do not warm up fast. Proven by lack of cabin heat. This results in cold engine components beating each other to death!!!!!!!!! 

By driving away without revving engine the fluids warm much faster and thus less wear on the internal components of the engine.  An even cabin heat in a few blocks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk