News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towing Radiator Upgrade 81 SX/4  (Read 9511 times)

Aquila Real

Towing Radiator Upgrade 81 SX/4
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »
Greetings... this is my 2nd post!
I have recently acquired an 81 SX/4 with the high altitude 258 automatic.
There is a small crack in the radiator neck just before the cap.  I know this is an easy fix by welding, however, is there a radiator upgrade I could benefit from?  I read a wiki about upgrades for this car and was wondering if anyone could comment on a radiator upgrade, such as what radiator I would need.
Here is what the wiki said.... how do I find one and how do I know it is an upgrade from what is in there:
5) Tow-package Radiator. Nothing cools your car like a new, well-oversized radiator.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Towing Radiator Upgrade 81 SX/4
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
Is you car an A/C car from the factory?  If so, you have a two row radiator already.  Those that came with the heavy duty cooling option, usually on the Class II towing optioned cars got a three row radiator.  Pretty rare these days and I don't know if there are after market ones.  I did find one once in a yard and it went to another Eagle owner.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Aquila Real

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
Thanks Iowa!  From what I can tell you are the head Eagle in charge on this site!  Nice to meet ya!
Yes, I do have A/C.  No, I do not seem to have a towing package in this car.  So, it must be safe to say I have a 2 row radiator.  Is this radiator sufficient?  Should I just get the leak by the cap fixed or look at a replacement?  Thanks again.
Coby

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
If yours is an automatic I'd install a stand alone trans cooler as well, a cool tranny is a happy tranny
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
Is you car an A/C car from the factory?  If so, you have a two row radiator already.  Those that came with the heavy duty cooling option, usually on the Class II towing optioned cars got a three row radiator.  Pretty rare these days and I don't know if there are after market ones.  I did find one once in a yard and it went to another Eagle owner.

My car came with neither AC or tow, (though the latter has since been changed) and it does just fine, towing 2k lbs. A cheaper upgrade is a high flow thermostat, since that's where your flow restriction comes from in the cooling system.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
Thanks Iowa!  From what I can tell you are the head Eagle in charge on this site!  Nice to meet ya!
Yes, I do have A/C.  No, I do not seem to have a towing package in this car.  So, it must be safe to say I have a 2 row radiator.  Is this radiator sufficient?  Should I just get the leak by the cap fixed or look at a replacement?  Thanks again.
Coby
  Everyone here is the head Eagle.  I just happen to have been here a bit longer.

I finally was paying attention and see you have an SX/4, I hope you don't plan to tow anything with a lot of length with that short wheelbase.  And, I bet you have 2.35 gearing which does not make for a towing monster.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Aquila Real

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
Haha.  Thanks guys.  I do not plan on towing anything other than myself and my skis up and down the mountain 20+ times this winter!  I had just read somewhere about a towing radiator being the type to get if you had to buy another radiator.  I'm pretty sure my current one can be fixed though. 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »
That is good.  The two-row should be more than adequate, although I confess I have not driven an AMC Eagle at higher altitudes.   I have driven other I-6 AMC's through the mountains and not one even came close to overheating.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
both of my Az wagons have a 3 core radiator in it and I did find that I can replace them they just cost $305.00 for the automatic version. but with you being in higher altitudes and coolser weather you really shouldn't need a 3 core. but if you do notice when you are doing your trips this winter that your 2 core is not keping your engine cool enough I might be willing to make a deal with you I want to have a 4core zig zag aluminum radiator made for Copper since it is an auto tranny and I want to keep it as cool as possible. help me with the cost of building the alum one and I will ship you my original 3 core with auto tranny hookups. cost of the custom alum will prob be 25% more than the new 3 core I would be wanting prob $150 for the rad once the new one was done and I could swapp it out.
Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Aquila Real

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
I ended up ordering a radiator from radiatorworld and am very pleased with it.  In fact, for $275 this thing keeps my car so cool that I have trouble letting it warm up when it is below freezing out.  Car wouldn't start at -15 F, but that may be because I had 15-40 oil in there.  Does anyone know the temperature of the stock thermostat?  I think I'd like to get one that's a little bit hotter to retain some heat in the winter. 

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
196*f

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk