News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 11:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project: Medusa  (Read 40701 times)

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Project: Medusa
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Stock manifold it is.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
The stock intake is great in its native form but with a little cutting and grinding, it can be made even better.  An afternoon's worth of work and beer doesn't cost anything more than the beer you consume.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
tell me more of this cutting and grinding you speak of!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
Yes, yes, I'm curious too... Are you referring to needing to move the manifold up to match the raised intake ports?

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
I would think just porting the intake would be necessary. It'd be pointless to port the head and not the intake/exhaust, because there would still be raised edges to decrease flow. I think all you really need is a rotary tool with grinding attachment(s) and a steady hand.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
yup.  I spray painted a gasket, installed the intake, then removed the intake and cut/grinded/finished out everything that  had paint on it.  simple.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:49:56 AM by GRONK »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »
Nothing new as of yet all.  Just took the engine block to the machine shop.  As suspected the block is in perfect working order.  This is a relief because I really wanted to avoid boring.  The head is still at the machine shop.  I will post some pictures when it comes time to reassemble.  My question is this. 

The car is a Jamaican Beige and the trim is Copper Brown Polly.  Can anyone recommend a good distributor to match the color?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
Where is everyone buying their headers?  Clifford? 
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Where is everyone buying their headers?  Clifford? 

Yes, as far as I know they're the only ones who've ever provided headers for the Eagle.  I'm not sure, but they may have stopped producing them but I think in the past they did do up a batch when a group of Eagle owners approached them for a bulk buy.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
Last I knew they still had some and were happy to sell them, and get read of them.
I have one purchased from them but have never installed it yet.

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
emailed clifford.  thanks all.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
Ugh.  Just got work from my machinist that the engine has to be bored.  I was hoping to avoid this, but alas boring is required.  My question(s) is this?  Can I bore 0.010 of an inch or do I have to go 0.020?  Anyone know if I can buy pistons that are 0.010 inch over standard?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:07:23 PM by Will »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline Will

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
Moving on.  How are my fellow eagle members lifting their Eagles?  I was looking to add about 3" to Medusa.   
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
4.2L

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
Never seen .010 over in the auto world, either way you need pistons & rings, so why not go to .020, you have plenty of material???

Prafeston

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
You can add a 1" spacer to the front springs and get 2.5-3 inches of lift. I also here the ESPO springs...which are really for a javelin gives a bit of a lift...so you could do some new javelin springs and like .5 or .75 inch spacer on the spring.

Springs - http://www.springsnthings.com/AMC-suspension-parts You'll have to call in to make an order.
Spacers - uhg I can never find the site where I've found the cheap spacers for the coils, but there is usually a couple on the bay.

The backs you can get an add-a-leaf or get an extra leaf from a couple different vehicles. I think the S-10s fit and the Cherokees.

You can buy some Air Shocks for the rear too and that might lift it up a bit. There is also usually a set or two of some rear shackles that I know a couple members have used on their Eagles. Those can be used for like a 1"-4" lift, depending on which hole you use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk