News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ole Blue  (Read 15347 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Ole Blue
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
What I find helps with stuck bolts is to sandblast clean the exposed threads and then apply penetrating oil.  My husband says this is a no-no, but I do it anyway and it usually works for me.

Alcology

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Luckily I have no carpet left, so very very slim chance of fire.  But the plastic trim on the seatbelt could start to melt I guess.  Thanks for the other suggestions as well.  I don't have air, so sandblasting is out for the moment.  Drilling it will be second try!  The weather was perfect today, but I just picked up a used car as a DD/errands runner and I used the time to use a carpet cleaner on it.  Some icky icky stuff came out, I would suggest definitely taking the time to do it!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
I second the drilling it out.  fast and simple.  You will retain some strength vs torching it out.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Alcology

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
The torching will do that much damage?  Either is fine by me, but torching just seemed easier

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
Heat = weakened metal.Just be careful.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Alcology

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
I've been busy with other things, so I haven't had a chance to drill those bolts yet.  However, another piece of the puzzle has been found.  An electric oven.  Might seem strange, but I've been searching for a cheap/free one for several months.  Tough to find!  Finally got one nearby for what I was willing to spend (not very much!)  I plan on powder-coating as much of the suspension as possible and the oven is the key.  I plan on repainting the car the same dark blue.  Here is my question:  Semi-gloss black or white?  Powder price is the same.  I will only be doing this once (hopefully!) so I would like to have a good color for the powder coat.  What do you think?  Consider driving a car with a white undercarriage or semi-gloss black and looking at one.  Which do you prefer?  I'm on the fence, but leading towards semi-gloss black because the white would be picking up dirt like a rodeo clown. 

Alcology

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
End of an era!  Life comes around tough.  I gotta get rid of this project.  I'm saving all I can from it, which is pretty much everything, so it will be for sale to help someone else.  If anyone is in mass and wants a 258 or eagle body with some rusty parts, come and get it!  I'm in somerville, ma.  If I don't hear anything, I'll be snagging the valve cover and maybe the oil pan to pass onto someone else.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
This is one Eagle I would like to save, but its just a little too far. I'll give it a safe resting place here if you or anyone in your area is headed down to my Solstice Meet in June. Its in Perkiomenville, ZIP 18074.

Its probably too late, but here is how I handle stuck seat belt bolts. I grind off the bolt flush to the bottom of the threaded square "nut" welded to the body. Between the heat of the grinder and the complete lack of old threads I've always been able to get the bolts off afterwards. I actually cut all of the bolts now for good measure to keep from breaking more Torx bits. I've broken countless T55 bits already.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:14:20 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Alcology

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
That does sound like a good way of doing it.  I think a tiny glimmer of hope appeared.  I've been trying to find garage space in the boston area to work on project cars and get a group of people together to make it work and bring down the price of renting space.  I just had someone send me an email about doing it.  If it looks promising, I'm willing to make some sacrifices.  By itself it's hard, I have 2 eagles and a subaru legacy DD.  Somethings gotta give!  I can only reasonably store the "good" eagle with relatives.  Maybe there will be a happy ending.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk