News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)  (Read 33855 times)

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, luckily I happen to have some angle iron laying around. I was reading somewhere that the frame itself breaks too, I was really hoping it wasn't that

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
The cap on your compressor is needed to keep out the dirt. Those valves don't have the Schrader valve in them . If you pull off the other cap on that valve there is a stem ( with a square end ) to open and close that port.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
Aahhhh, I was thinking those were adjustment screws. How do I identify the high and low pressure sides?

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »
Another sedan saved, looks solid.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 09:34:13 PM »
Did the eagle rot check thanks to Nightpath's video. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=46446.0

Thankfully not a single piece of bad rust. I was especially afraid of around the Frame area but it's solid as far as I can tell. I did have a little moisture under my trunk carpet, but nothing serious at all.

On a side note, what is this for?

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2018, 11:17:17 PM »
So I removed the seat, and as far as I can see only the 2 outside springs are broken. Everything else looks tip top. Should I try to replace the springs? Or attempt to repair them?

Sorry for blurry photo, was kinda a late spur of the moment decision to remove the seat.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 12:22:59 AM »
thats the fresh air vent, try to repair seats, see john bendiks post, good luck, gz

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Fresh air vent? Here all this time I thought it was a squid release lever. Man learn something new everyday!!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
That's what I was thinking too. But I can't imagine the 30 year old squids faired very well, and I got to thinking of the nightmare to try to find OEM AMC Squids.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2018, 08:44:01 PM »
:)

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
Got the seat out using the 4 bolt method to remove it from the rails. Very easy, all but the front left nut was easily accessible from the back seat. Found the 2 broken springs as pictured above, and used John B's suggestion on the hose clamps, but I don't think they will hold up very well. I got the smallest that home depot had and clearly they weren't designed to go that small, heard a snap on 2 of them when tightening and they don't tighten any more. I put 2 clamps per spring. With one "good one" per that is actually holding tight. I may switch to cable clamps as they seem to hold a lot stronger. We will see. I discovered that the main bar that runs on top of the seat was snapped as well so I bought some 3/16th bar from home depot as well and used the cable clamps to attach it to the existing bar to stiffen it up. I forgot to take a picture before I put it back in the car, but I'll see if I can get one later today.

I would like to add that for 2 of the cable clamps it was something like 90 cents vs 83 cents per hose clamp.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
The back side of the compressor is marked with dis and suc .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »

I saw this guy by the fuel tank, is this a filter?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 11:40:09 PM »
its the rollover fuel shutoff valve. no longer available. If your car is running, its ok, if it fails, you can take it out of the line.  gz

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Question about rock chip rust. My idea is to repaint to whole car "someday" but I don't exactly have a timeline for that at this point. Is it better to leave all the little rust spots as they are, or wire wheel them clean and put down a cheap white spray paint to seal them up?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk