News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 04:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brights start blinking after being on for a short while  (Read 4550 times)

Offline mental1896

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Brights start blinking after being on for a short while
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
The regular beams work just fine. When I first turn the brights on they also seem to work well. However, after about 5-10 minutes of being on, both sets of lights (high and low beams) will turn off for a second or two and then come back on--over and over. When I switch the high beams off, my regular lights continue to function normally. There is no discernible pattern to the flickering. This is a problem mostly because my neighborhood is littered with deer and I'm often on the road before daylight.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Brights start blinking after being on for a short while
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
The switch that you use to turn on the lights is failing. Replace it. Btw its a fun process that you will remember for all time.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
If the above doesnt solve it, your other issue could be the headlight switch and plug. They have been known to melt some.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline mental1896

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to the memories!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Yup, sounds like the HL switch.  And you will be thankful they do not wear out often.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
high beam switch corroding does it too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mental1896

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »
Well, I pulled the dash apart shortly after my original post in this thread (took probably a dozen too many screws out   ::)). The switch showed signs of excessive heat. I popped the connector off, cleaned the contacts and replaced a short length of corroded/melted wire. That fixed the problem for a short while and then the lights decided to stop working altogether. Finally went and got a new switch (12 bucks at Autozone - last one in stock) and put it in last weekend. It was so much easier getting that dash apart the second time around. Anyway, I've been driving for five days now with perfectly functioning headlights (brights too).

Incidentally, when I was in there, I also popped the wiper switch off and cleaned the contacts. Went from fast-only to full functionality.

Thanks a ton!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
Your best bet is to install relays for the headlights. One for low beams and one for high beams. It takes the load of the switch in the vehicle and also allows more voltage to go to the headlights resulting in a brighter beam since there is usually a voltage drop after going through the switch and small wires.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mental1896

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »
That's a great diagram. I intend to do this someday.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
You can buy what is called the headlight brightening kit with the relays and all included.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk