News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Jeep Family Tree  (Read 53966 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Jeep Family Tree
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:44 AM »
Here is the Jeep Family Tree I did up.  It seems some models might be missing.  When done I will host it as pdf file to compliment our AMC Eagle Family Tree --- since they are related.

Pasted below is some of the other replies related to this topic:

Very cool.  Nice job.  Now we just have to check to see if we are missing anything.  Should we include the Jeep side of things?

from 83 Eagle:  Should I go ahead and try to trace the Jeep models?  If I have time??

from route 66 rambler:    I would say go ahead and do it.  If it doesn't get used by myself or Iowa Eagle, then maybe a Jeep site would be able to, or if you want to start a Jeep place, I was planning on offering some of my available sub-domains as free pages to members here and elsewhere for AMC-related sites.
mike

form IowaEagle:  That would be great.  There are a lot of Jeep models to research and I am wondering for a family tree for them if you don't need to do back to the Bantam days or even way back to the Quad 4 days.

from route 66 rambler:    I think the Bantam would do it, as that's where the original GP platform originated.  It's sort of like your own "Hornet or American?"  question.  The Jeep deal wouldn't be quite as complicated as AMC or Rambler.  For the most part, it's  like GP, split from there into Wag/pickup/Jeepster and CJ/M38,  then it's all fairly straight line compared to car companies, with a few trunks off for the forward control cab, the larger trucks like the M37, etc.  Was the Might Mite a Jeep or AMC?  I think that was prior to the takeover  salvation of Jeep in 1970. /;]
mike

from IowaEagle:  Its a good starting point -- although I think AMC carried over the basic line after purchase.  Refinement came later, although, I think, AMC power came almost immediately for several models.

I have not gotten them all over here yet, but I will.  Have to go mow lawn and other silly things.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:17:21 PM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: AMC Eagle Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:51 PM »
Did I send you the one with the descriptions as well?  It has a few sentences about each vehicle on the Jeep tree. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »
No, just the one with pictures, model names and some arrows and lines.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
If you, or anyone is interested in seeing the one with the descriptions.  I can email it.  Just let me know.  Thanks.  I am glad that it will work for a quick history lesson.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:30:16 AM »
 Sorry, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, family, Molly, Ramblers, and website are pulling different directions.  What I did, since I was already on my site at the time I read the post above, was open it in OpenOffice and save it as an HTML real quick-like.  It's now on the new "timeline" subdomain of route66rambler.com, at least for a while.  It still needs a little cleanup to display properly, but the main effect is still there.  Here is where I have it as a Web page:

http://www.timeline.route66rambler.com/FamilyTree/JEEP/JeepFamilyTree.html

I should have a little time on Sunday or Monday to edit it into clickable thumbnails to the larger pictures... right now, because of the file sizes of the pics, it takes a little while to load, but I'll see what I can do with it after Saturday is over.  Great job, Brandon.
mike
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:22:22 PM by Route 66 Rambler »
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Re: Jeep Family Tree
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:27:45 PM »
I am wondering since later Cherokee's 1984? and beyond were uni-bodied should they be a distinct new model line?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »
I would say no since the body lines are allmost identical to the older one.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
Thank you for formatting that to be able to be posted.  I did not want all the work that I put into it to go to waste because the computer I used did not have a way to format the document to be posted. 

I have one with all of the descriptions of the different models that I can email to anyone who might be interested.  I stopped this Jeep Tree with the last three AMC Models...  Cherokee, J20 and Wrangler.  I am sure we could expand it to today if there is an interest. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »
Model info might be interesting.  Go ahead and send it to me.  Did you see any mistakes?  Will let a few others chime in and then I will start work on a pdf version which will allow for better pictures and text.  It did not take long to do it after I got the pictures saved.  It was a pretty straight forward progression of models.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »
The Wrangler was actually derived from the CJ-7 not the CJ-8.  The CJ-8 was a spinoff of the CJ-7, because it was a pickup version as was the CJ-10.  Also the Wagoneer and Comanche were all based on the 1984 Cherokee, so they should all be on the same level.  The last four models from AMC were the Cherokee, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, Wrangler and the J20.  I guess I did not make that clear enough in my tree that I sent you.  Sorry. 

I will send Iowa Eagle the Tree with Descriptions when I get back from U-Pull-It. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »
Thanks.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 01:27:58 AM »
Wasent there something call a Comando base on the C104
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
I wonder where the FC's and postal Jeeps fit into this?  And the 3/4 ton military trucks made by AMC Jeep?  And, of course the Humvee.  I know it was AMG but it used Jeep and some Eagle technology and the final AMC prototype was finished off by Roy Lunn who was asked to come out of retirement to fix the issues the Army had with it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:12:13 AM by IowaEagle »

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
I did a little looking and it appears the FC Jeep may be a line of its own.  It was designed shortly after Kaiser bought Willys Overland and started the new Willys company to produce Jeeps.  And, it appears the postal vehicles were, at least, originally FC's.  There were a lot of variations of this unique Jeep, despite fairly low production numbers, here is a website with a ton of pictures showing different uses http://www.newcotech.com/fcjeep/ .   While researching I did find a reference to thoughts of making the FC into a 4WD passenger van -- way back in the mid 1950's!  Apparently only a clay model was made.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
I renewed the image in the first post.  I spotted at least one goof in the time line where the Wrangler year text is next to the CJ10 info.  Will fix before I do a pdf.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk