News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which carburetor  (Read 8341 times)

Offline opieonekanobi

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1984 AMC Eagle, 258, Weber Carb
Which carburetor
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
I have an 84 Eagle limited (258).  When I bought it, it had a weber 32/36 carb on it.  We figured it was a bit ran through, so I bought a brand new 32/36 for it.  I understood these were common changes people made since the weber is progressive and the OEM carters were not.  So, I've given up on the weber.  It really is a terrible carb in my opinion.  I found a replacement stock carburetor.  Problem is, I'm not sure if my car has the electronic feedback valve or not.  It does have the stock intake manifold, but I'm not sure if there's a sure way of knowing (without looking) to see if the wiring harness is near the carb (assuming a previous owner hasn't pulled/cut the wire out).  Any suggestions or tips would be great.

Also here's a link to the site that I found the carb.  Haven't done business with them before, so if anyone has positive/negative feedback on them or even a better option, that would be great as well

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/cat-amc.html

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Which carburetor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »
The car should have a computer, they started in all cars in 82. You'll have to see what's all left. If it's an aluminum intake, it's computerized feedback.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
If you want a quick and dirty solution to getting your 258 running great contact Gronk about the ECM test bypass, coil upgrade, and the motocraft 2150 swap...

In the process you can eliminate much of the vacuum spaghetti from the engine compartment, and the end result is an easily tuneable carb, so you don't have to battle the ancient emissions gear to get it running.

That being said, I don't have solid advice regarding the outcome of emissions tests, I'm not sure if you can easily pass after the swap, because I don't live in an area that requires it so I've never tried.

I mucked about with the carter carb for a bit, got really frustrated, then got a holly replacement that was still computer controlled before finally abandoning ship and opting for the "n u t t e r b y p a s s" and essentially eliminating all but the ignition module from the equation.

Shhhhh, I didn't say that.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
It's good to see you're still sticking with the Eagle. If you really want to go with a Carter, just go with the non feedback. There's a good chance some of those wires and even the computer might be missing. Look behind the passenger kick panel and see if the computer is still there. If you can swing it, the Gronk Motorcraft is your best bet.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
I did the motor craft conversion from Gronk

Runs wonderful, it's like a whole new car, smooth, doesn't die, better response

But, you can also get the non feedback version of the Carter, I have one in my 78 amx and it works very well, not nearly as problematic as the feedback one I used to have in the eagle
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline opieonekanobi

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 1984 AMC Eagle, 258, Weber Carb
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:07:38 AM »
So i finally got the chance to take a look at my eagle today.  After some issues with my 96 explorer i thought "why not? I'm a glutton for punishmen. i'll look at the eagle too".  The kit you are referring to really sounds great.  A little steep but for what he offers, it's well worth the price.  I hate to leave an open post, like i so often do, but hopefully by the end of this month i will order his kit and see what it does.
This car has been so frustrating that I have decided to attach one thing at a time. (fuel,compression, spark)
So, this will eventually turn into a "i tore it apart and fixed EVERYTHING" car. 
I really wish there was a way for me to type everything I've done with this car.  I guess when you buy a car for $1 you should take that as sign that this is going to be a VERY long ride.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
Let me know when you are ready for the kit friend.  I still have the Nest Special for $325 shipped.  I have passed these through emissions just about everywhere in the country.  The Motorcraft burns very clean and is easily tuned.  I also have the ignition mods available which are a gread addition.  I can send you the parts list too if you want o pick up locally but it is often cheaper to get it from me w/ my discount. :amc:
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk