News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Wagon, TN  (Read 3206 times)

Offline bmetfoster

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
84 Wagon, TN
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
Hey all, I'm new here and new to Eagles. I just rescued an 84 Wagon from a farm in Arkansas and plan to do my best to turn this old guy into a camping buggy for my girlfriend and me. Unfortunately, none of my skills really tend towards the "automotive" recreations so it's going to be a long road and learning process, but I figure I'm sometimes stubborn enough to bang my head into a problem long enough that an answer eventually falls out so I might as well.
I've been wanting an Eagle for some time and I finally found my chance. Took all day yesterday, but I managed to get it home. Spent part of this morning washing the outside and the rest trying to clear a space in the garage. I don't expect I'll update often as my progress will be slow, but I'll try to take pics and post them to the project thread once I hit some milestones.
I'll definitely be reading through the boards here, though, so feel free to give me a shout anytime.

Oh, and if the other guy that was trying to buy this for parts is a member here, sorry for grabbing it up while you were sick -I hope you get feeling better soon.

-Foster

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: 84 Wagon, TN
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »
Nice looking start to a project!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:41 AM »
welcome, and congrats on the Eagle. ahem, it's ALL Good! this is what we do here. Don't worry about not being mechanical, (how old are you?) all of us at some time, didn't know a thing about anything either. But, after years, and I mean years, of coping with, and even sometimes enjoying the AMC Eagle, we do know a thing or two, and we are here to help.
You have just purchased one the most unique, and coolest, cars that our good 'ol USA has ever produced. But, don't kid yourself, this will be an education. Get ready, buy the TSM, and a good set of wrenches, get prepared for busted knuckles and frustration, searching for (almost) non existent parts, some math, and more money than you ever thought possible to spend on any "old" car, and one day, a few weeks/months/ years from now, your Eagle may fly again. And that will be, priceless! good luck, gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »
Welcome. Where in TN are you located?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Congrats on picking up that nice looking Eagle!   amcfool1 offered up some good advice and definitely use the forum as a resource.  Most of the problems you'll find have been faced by somebody before and there is a lot of good info on the forum, get familiar with the search function lol.  And don't be afraid to ask questions!  Most of all, enjoy the journey!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline bmetfoster

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
Well for the immediate future, I'll be spending more time on getting my garage/shop up and running. I moved into an old house that has a large but neglected, detached garage in the back. I'm still working on clearing out stuff from the last few tenants as well as organizing my own stuff. Interspersed I'll by mainly doing prep work and research as I build up my project fund.
This wagon sat on a farm neglected for the past few years, and it's going to need some going over. I don't trust anything to not have to deteriorated and the interior is wrecked -though the body is remarkably rust free.
I'll mainly be spending time reading through the forums here and getting an understanding for which direction I want to go.
Out of Memphis, TN here.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
I was hoping you were a little closer, but your a good 3 hours away from Rob(AMC1320) and I. Good luck with both projects, house and car.

Offline bmetfoster

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »
I was hoping you were a little closer, but your a good 3 hours away from Rob(AMC1320) and I. Good luck with both projects, house and car.

Where are you out of? I cross the state once a month on my usual Knoxville weekend.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »

Where are you out of? I cross the state once a month on my usual Knoxville weekend.
About 3 hours due east. Just above Huntsville, AL.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk