News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flexplate question  (Read 3511 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Flexplate question
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
I'm putting a new transmission in my old bird.  Have the trans, but I'm guessing the flexplate I used for the FI conversion was from a GC.  It's been so long I can't recall.  Can anyone provide me with the torque converter bolt hole dimensions for an AW4 flexplate or converter?  Don't want to pull the old transmission to figure out I've got the wrong one.Thank you!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Flexplate question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Are you installing an AW4? Do you have an efi conversion?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Going to be installing an AW4 and NP242.  I already did the fuel injection conversion years ago.  But like I said, not 100%, but think I used a ZJ flexplate, which would be a 42RE.  So want the distance between the torque converter holes for an AW4 flexplate to verify.  Trans I got might have a newer model TC, guy didn't remember what year or model Jeep it was from, but it was cheap so I took a chance.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
The flexplate has to be for an AW4. None of the Chrysler trans flexplates will work. You have to match the flexplate to the computer you used so it matches the crank sensor notches in the flexplate. So you need to know if you used an XJ or the one year only ZJ. I think 93.5.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:32:42 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »
Yes, I know all of this.  But I still need the measurement to verify if I can use the transmission I got. As I said, unsure of the year and TC may be different with a smaller bolt pattern than the 95'.  But I need a measurement to verify any of it.  It would really be helpful, I don't want to order one, pull my transmission down, then figure out I did all that and have to get a different transmission.  If I find my TC has a smaller bolt pattern than the 95, then I could just order a new TC and be on my way.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
If it makes any difference to you, when I did my AW4 swap, I used a 2000 AW4 and torque converter with a 91-95 flexplate. I just looked up a torque converter for a Jeep Cherokee on Rock Auto and the same torque converter is used from 87-2001. I don't think there are any differences.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
The only differences that I am aware of on the AW4's is that the 87-90's have 21 spline outputs and later have 23 spline output. Mid 96 they added an input speed sensor and a different output speed sensor which I had to change to the earlier style to work with the transmission computer I had.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
I was able to crank the engine over and found a Chrysler part number on it.  I had a ZJ flexplate on there from a 42RE transmission.  Got the new one in and trans bolted in place, just working on modifying the crossmember and redoing electrical now.  Should be in the running lane by the end of the month if all goes well  ;D

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
The AW4 converter bolted up to the 42RE flexplate?

EDIT. Oh, I see. I misread your first post and just added confusion to the thread. I thought you were installing an AW4. It appears you installed a stock 998.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:41:08 AM by eaglefreek »

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
I had a stock 998 lock-up installed with the 42re flexplate with the first fuel injection setup. I now have an AW4 sitting in there with a 242 going behind it. I had simply drilled a hole and made a bracket for the CPS in the 998. One of the bands was completely torn apart when I dug into it. So for $100 I got a stronger transmission with better overdrive. I think it'll be well worth the effort as the Eagle came stock with 3:54 gears and no lock-up. There was actually another variation of the AW4, and I believe it was in the ZJ where the output shaft had a smaller non splined end that went into a sleeve in the transfer case. Then there are the variations of the AW4 that were used in other car brands, but we're looking at Jeeps here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk