News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 12:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking about this project car  (Read 3738 times)

Offline RickM

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Thinking about this project car
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:50:43 AM »
Hello all. So I think I have agreed to buy an eagle from a guy in Denver, but I would like some advice. This is what I can tell. The car is an 81. It has no dents but the paint is shot. The plastic bumper ends are failing. The trains seals have been replaced. It has a slight valve cover leak. The PO has been working on it and was using it as a daily driver until recently. This is what I know it needs. The brake booster is out, the rear end has a noise and he thinks a wheel bearing is shot. The tires look a little iffy. Some dry rot.   The price is negotiated to $1,800.

This is the plan. Buy it. Drive it gently around Colorado for two weeks. Have it shipped to Dallas, and then do a really thorough project car effort on it over the next 4 years with my son. So really 2 questions.

1.  Is $1800 a decent price for a somewhat running and driving eagle
2. Would you take an eagle with a failing brake booster over mountain passes safely for a couple weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Thinking about this project car
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:23:34 AM »
I would check for rust if none then $1800 isn't bad
what does the failing brake booster do, should still have brakes they would just be harder to apply with out the booster

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »
The "rear end has a noise" worries me.  Could be the dreaded and common broken right axle issue.

If you're in Dallas, get involved with the Dallas AMC Club.   Their Prez is an Eagle guy (among other AMC's).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
The "rear end has a noise" worries me.  Could be the dreaded and common broken right axle issue.

If the right axle was broken it wouldn't be driving, would it?  Wouldn't this result in all the power going through the rear differential to the broken right axle preventing the car from moving?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »
Sometimes they won't move; sometimes they do!   The axle fractures in the middle of the hub, where its splined onto the axle shaft.   Sometimes and somehow the axle still functions if the break is not smooth.   But it will make an absolutely dreadful noise while driving, making you think the diff is about ready to fall out!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7