News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towing Tips with an SX4  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Towing Tips with an SX4
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this.

I need to pick up some furniture which is about a 500 mile trip one way.  I read on the forum that an xj hitch will fit on my SX4.  Has anyone towed with  with an eagle for a 1000 miles?  I have a 82 SX4 with the 4.2L and I believe I have a trans cooler.    Any tips on towing with it?  I'm thinking I'll be towing 800 pounds worth of stuff.  I plan on replacing the leaf springs and putting new break pads, lines, discs on it.

Am I asking too much from the eagle?

Thanks
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Towing Tips with an SX4
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »
I don't know about the XJ hitch, I custom built a hitch and then later I built a bumper with a receiver hitch. 800 lbs. will be no problem for an Eagle with a good engine, cooling system, transmission and brakes. I towed an SX4 for 800 miles with my wagon I used to own and then towed a Ford Aspire for 1200+ miles without any issues. I've also towed my dirtbike for thousands of miles.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:34:49 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: Towing Tips with an SX4
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:41:40 PM »
Some info on the Cherokee Hitch.

It's not a direct fit. Have to drill holes through the frame rails and install long bolts.
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43905.msg342173#msg342173
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk