News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 01:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!  (Read 11211 times)

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by the "IS-12e service letter"- if you mean the service chart for the rebuild kit I do still have it. I also have the AMC Service Manual. I never did drill out the tubes because the manual strongly suggested against it. I know alot of others have to their car I just didn't think I needed to  since it ran great in the past. I just ran fishing line in them and flossed them, sprayed carb cleaner inside, soaked them in berrymans, washed em out and sprayed compressed air through them. The eagle has been idling pretty rough (though it hasn't died). Tomorrow, I am going on the hunt for vacuum leaks and check the spark plug wires. I think the module definitely helped.. I think there is another underlying issue though. :/

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 01:07:20 AM »
The AMC IS-12e letter actually superseded the adjustment procedure in the factory service manuals.   

The AMC Service letter advising to drill out the idle bleed tubes was specifically for curing a rough idle & stalling condition in the BBD carbs.   I've done it on all of the 200+ BBDs' I've been through, and it does cure a multitude of BBD issues.    Look down the carb while at warm idle and see if you see any raw drops of fuel coming from the venturis.   If you see said drips, the idle bleeds may be the issue.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
I will check it today..  If they are dripping, would you recommend drilling it out with an .032 " bit? I don't have a dremmel.. could I use a screw driver? Seems a delicate procedure.. lol

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Its just the bottom of the tubes you drill out (but I bet you knew that); and its kinda-sorta-delicate-ish.   Anything from .028 to .032 will do fine (I use an .030 bit in a pin vise I got at a hobby shop).

You want the IS-12e letter??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
hi, amc of houston, I would like that IS-12 letter as welll, please email at [email protected], thanks, gz

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
How for down should you drill out the tubes?
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »
You are drilling from the bottom up, and only drilling out the "pinched" area of the bottom of the tube.   So you are only drilling up about 3/32 of an inch or so; not far at all.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
It looked like it wasn't dripping but I might drill 'em out because I am desperate to find any way to make it run smoother. I am getting a tachometer, a fuel pressure gauge and some new spark plug wires and see if I can narrow down the cause a little more. I would like that PDF file on the service chart if you got it. My email is [email protected] Thanks  :)

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
File sent.  Good luck with it.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
Good call on the idle tubes.  I wouldn't use a dremel.  The tubes are soft and you can almost twist the bit in your fingers to cut through them.  Give them a shot of cleaner after drilling.

I hope that module change solved your issue.  I will stand behind my recommendation of the genuine Ford replacement.  They designed it and are still making a buck off selling their own, so why would they give the exact specs to aftermarket sellers?  The Ford module is actually heavier than the others, so there must be something different about it.  I think my Ford modules were about $47.  But after dealing with that faulty new module from Standard and nearly being killed on the highway and embarrassed in front of my passengers I figured the extra $10 was worth it  ;).

To add to the filter sock comment, I had the pickup become lodged with crap from the tank when I removed the filter sock once.  Car would go fine on the flat, but when I started to put a load on the motor (start going up a hill) it would begin to cut out like you were flipping a switch.  Sometimes it would keep going, sometimes it would stall and then start back up.  Typically with a bad module, it'll just quit and won't re-start until the module cools down.  It'll do that until it quits for good and never restarts.

The bum module I had ran great around town for a day, then as I was on the highway it would start to stumble and misfire out of no where.  I thought it was a fuel issue but when I swapped a spare module in it cured it instantly.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:11:15 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
The plug on the module connector gets corroded and causes issues too. If the ground from the body to the battery negative is missing then feedback goes through the module and it's internal ground wire in the harness to burn modules out. The "factory" (Dealer) test for module was to run it to operating temp then hang an incandescent trouble light on the module a couple minutes, pull it away and thump the module with a rubber mallet 3 times 5 seconds apart. Stall = faulty module.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:50:31 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 11:30:33 AM »
I got a bunch of tools for diagnosing and adjusting issues in the Eagle so hopefully I can make it run a little smoother. I am going to drill out the tubes, got some premium spark plug wires, a tachometer and hand vacuum pump for carb adjustments (to IS12e's specs) as well as a fuel pressure gauge. I went ahead and got these items to have on hand for future diagnosis. I was curious if anyone knew how to go about diagnosing the fuel pressure on the Eagle. I don't know why but I could not find ANYTHING on the fuel pump or fuel pressure in my service manual!? I don't know if I am looking in the wrong spot or what but there is very little mention of these components. Is there even A schrader valve on the fuel line in the AMCs ?What should the PSI be?

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
There is no valve.  Fuel pressure is very low for the carb, maybe 3-5psi.  The 3-port fuel filter actually helps regulate the pressure by allowing excess fuel and any vapor to exit via the return line port, which needs to be rotated to the 12 o'clock position (it's on the end facing the carb).  Too much pressure can force fuel past the inlet valve and throw off the level in the bowl/spill over and out the sides of the carb.  It's kind of a self-regulating system.  Not too complex.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
The plug on the module connector gets corroded and causes issues too. If the ground from the body to the battery negative is missing then feedback goes through the module and it's internal ground wire in the harness to burn modules out. The "factory" (Dealer) test for module was to run it to operating temp then hang an incandescent trouble light on the module a couple minutes, pull it away and thump the module with a rubber mallet 3 times 5 seconds apart. Stall = faulty module.

This is a good point regarding the ground.  The black wire running from the module to the distributor pickup (it runs next to the orange and violet, twisted wires) is the module ground.  It makes this ground through the grundgy, dirty distributor base.  On my Eagles I tapped an extra ground lead into that wire.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will check the ground wire. Just got the tubes drilled out. It seems to be running better and better. It still hasn't died but is having  a real hard time starting.I try to turn it over and it makes a loud whirring sound and won't turn over takes about 5 times. I replaced the starter a few years back. I will check the wires to it and as well as put on the new plug wires and see if this does the trick!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk