News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 08:30:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!  (Read 11298 times)

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
Well I put the rebuilt carb in the Eagle today. It idled for a good hour or so ..no problems. I moved it around putting into drive and reverse. Did fine. I went out to check it again a couple of hours later. It ran for about 5 minutes and then suddenly died. Its hard to start up again and makes a weird whirring sound when trying to start. This has been happening for some time now. It has died going about 45 mph up a slight incline. It also died going up an icy mountain road where I started flying down the hill backwards nearly killing myself! It dies at random times. Here is a list of recent repairs I had paid for or done myself. I cannot figure it out! Is it the pump? Fuel lines? Vacuum leaks? This is such a frustration I want to roll it off a cliff.

Replaced in-line fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, ignition coil, pcv valve, got the timing adjusted, new air filter, battery, rebuilt the carburetor.

What would be the next step? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. And thank you to all of those who have offered their advice already.
 :o

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Eagle continues to die. Running out of ideas!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »
I've had bad ignition modules (the square aluminum-looking thing on your right fender well) do that before (croaking at random times).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
DID you buy the carb new or refurbed?

If so, either way, you need to take it apart yourself, check/set the float, check that the check balls are the correct sizes, BIG and small. You will have to drill out the idle tubes a little and check the top end accel pump and vac pump

I ordered a new one, and I made the mistake of NOT checking this out. start there, and go from there.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »
Have you checked the fuel flow and pressure? There is also a restricter in the fuel overflow hose from the fuel filter that sometimes gets thrown out when the hose is relaced and causes problems.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »
If it's just shutting off out of no where and being hard to start, it does sound like the ignition module on the fender.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
Hey Jayramb I rebuilt the carb, I believe everything should be in working order there. I am going to go ahead and buy the ignition control module. The symtpoms are pretty dang close to what has been going on! I hope this does it! The Eagle has been landed for far too long now! I will let you guys know if this fixes it!
 :eagle:

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »
It's good to have a spare regardless.  It's probably too late but I would buy the genuine Motorcraft module.  The cheaper after markets may not last as long.  I had one from Standard Motor Products bad right out of the box.  If you have the "blue grommet" box I can get you the Ford part number.  The grommet can be seen where the wires come out the bottom of the box.  Blue with two plugs was the most common.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »
Here you go.  It is DY893 for the Ford blue grommet module.  I have used these in my '86 Eagle with great results.  Link for RockAuto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=385933&cc=1125920&jnid=653&jpid=7
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »
Ditto on what MacDude said; buy a spare!!    I have spares in all of my AMC's that use them; and have used the spares 3 times in the last 10 years to get me off the side of the road.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
It's good to have a spare regardless.  It's probably too late but I would buy the genuine Motorcraft module.  The cheaper after markets may not last as long.  I had one from Standard Motor Products bad right out of the box.  If you have the "blue grommet" box I can get you the Ford part number.  The grommet can be seen where the wires come out the bottom of the box.  Blue with two plugs was the most common.

Buy the HEAVY DUTY MODULE. I bought the 'regular' ones, they pooped out! O'Reilly had a lifetime warranty on the one they sell.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
Just a shot in the dark here . Do you have a catalytic converter ? If so is it plugged up?
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »
Crazy, how come these things crap out all the time? My dad picked me up a "Master Pro" ignition module from O'reilly's today. It was 35 bucks..the cheaper of the two. If it can get this thing going I won't even care if its the cheapo one. At least I will know the problem and how to remedy if/when it happens again. I wish I would have got the better one though..but I need to get my wheels back so I will just put this one in.I really hope this does the trick, thanks for the input fellas! Tomorrow will be the moment of truth...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:04:05 AM by westin »

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
could be a dirty fuel tank clogging the sock filter in the gas tank

Offline westin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »
Well, I put in the module and the Eagle fired right up. I let it run 3 different idles for about a half an hour each from cold to operating temp. Only once did it not start immediately. It did sound like it wasn't idling very smoothly but that could be another issue. It did sound like it wanted to die once but I gave it a little gas and adjusted the idle screw a little bit. (I still haven't made the exact adjustments on the idle after rebuilding the carb- I hope to get a tachometer and a fuel pressure gauge to see if I can hone this in a little more). Overall, it never died though! I am going to test it a few more times and then take it out on the road- I live in the mountains and the roads are real bad right now so want to make sure its ready to go so I won't go flying down an icy road with a dead car again! I will let you know if it passed the test. I think this may have fixed it though!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:12:21 PM by westin »

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:37:19 PM »
Do you have a copy of the IS-12e service letter??   Its the one that shows how to adjust all the carb external adjustments.  If you don't have it, shoot me your email addy and I'll send you a .pdf of it.    Did you say you drilled out the idle bleed tubes per the AMC service bulletin??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7