News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: brake pedal to the floor  (Read 6556 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
brake pedal to the floor
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
With the brakes & engine cold the pedal is almost to the top. A couple of pumps brings it up another inch. When I turn on the engine the pedal goes to the floor. I’ve replaced the master cylinder after bench bleeding it, new rotor discs & calipers with pads. The rear cylinders & shoes are a year old. No leaks in the system. Even the old master cylinder never required any additional fluid. I’ve bled all 4 wheels 3 times, twice with a vacuum pump & once by foot & hand. The only thing left is the power unit & the vacuum hose there looks good. Does this sound reasonable? I’ve obviously mis-diagnosed the problem. The only reason I’m not more angry is because the replaced parts except the pads were original & 32 years old.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: brake pedal to the floor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
I'm having the same problem after I replaced the master cylinder too. Did what you did. The only thing I can think of is that the plunger to the master cylinder isn't adjust right?
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:44:40 AM »
Manually adjust the rear drum brakes. Do it cold or they will drag afterwards.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
I pulled the booster out Saturday. I'll have to pick up a replacement.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:34:46 PM »
Keep in touch on what you find out!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
Make sure the master is for rear drum brakes and not 4 wheel discs!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »
I haven't received the booster yet but the Master I had already installed. Knowing what I do now I should have ordered a set & saved a few dollars. I had ordered the Master for a 1983 & I don't recalling them mentioning anything about (4) wheel discs. I don't believe they were offered in 1983.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
Has anyone replaced the brake line coming out of the master cylinder - rear port - front brakes. I've tried four stores with no luck. The fitting coming out is probably a 7/16-28 extra fine thread since 7/16-14 & 7/16-20 don't quite fit. The other fitting at the coupler - 13 inches away and is 3/8-24. I can find the brake line with two 3/8-24 fittings but not that 7/16. Do I have to make my own & if so where would I find that 7/16 fitting.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
Yeah; have to make your own.   The fitting size is 7/16-24 (for a 3/16 tube).   Not hard to find -- you can get 6 mailed to your door for $7.50 on Ebay.   I'd think most parts houses would have those (at least where I am).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
Thanks - I'll have to go to e-bay. The last two bog box stores didn't carry them & I don't think the young fellows really knew what a master cylinder is. Interestingly about that 7-24 fitting. According to my downloaded notes a 14 is a coarse thread & a 20 is fine thread. It shows 28 as extra fine. 3/8-24 is fine & 32 is extra fine. I did call another place on the telephone & he said he did have a 7-24 fitting - not a 7-28 - on a 1/4" line.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
Yeah; I always wondered why the thread count was different for "fittings".   Who made that decision anyway??!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
To keep people from using regular fuel line nuts and bolts in them due to hydraulic pressures.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I’ve got brakes - actually I always did but not to my satisfaction. I had to take care of something else but it always feel good to get back in the garage. I believe someone asked to add to this post. My brake pedal was only 2-½” from the floor with the engine running ( vacuum assisted). One of the problems was that the right rear automatic brake adjustment spring had became weak, the adjuster lever was flapping & the teeth in the screw assembly were worn down. I replaced the cable, guide, spring & screw assembly. Another major problem was a small fluid leak in the 14” long brake line from the master cylinder to the coupler for the front brakes. It was wet at the coupler. On this Eagle the factory ran the line under the rear line & bent it up at the coupler. On my other eagle it is a straight shot into the coupler. I made 4 lines until I got it right. Clearance for that line is almost nil because the booster pushes down on the line ergo the factory came in from underneath & bent it up. I wish I would have replaced it when the booster was removed. I still came in with a straight line but the clearance is tight, but finally stopped the leak. I kept blaming my flares but have an Eastwood tool which is very good. Bleeding the brakes without the engine running is recommended. Pumping them however may not reveal a leak. Only with the engine running & pumping them will you then see a leak. I’ll mention some important specs. This brake pedal is 5-3/8” (side & center) from the floor (engine running/not running & not depressed). If depressed when running (vacuun assist) the pedal should move down 25% of the distance to the floor. Mine therefore should go down 1-11/32” leaving 4-1/32” to the floor. Mine moves down 1-7/8” leaving 3-½”. I did pick up 1 full inch & it feels good. I must admit however that my other Eagle does have the 4”.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
Manually adjusting the rear brakes will help too. Do it cold with the wheel on. Tighten till it starts to drag then use a screwdriver or similar to pry the adjuster forwards and backwards a couple times then center again. If the shoes still drag slightly, then hit the pedal and check again. They should only drag slightly when cold right after adjustment. If you do it hot then the drum shrinks as it cools and jams the brakes like the Ebrake is on.

Also, make sure the ebrake isn't sticking when you adjust the brakes. It should also come up with shoe adjustment.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
They should be OK. I use a brake tool to tighten the linings to the point where the wheels won't turn - then back them off one revolution. After that I ran it forward & reverse 15 x  abruptly in the alley to set the adjusters. So far no leaks which is my major concern.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk