News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 10:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel Center bore problem  (Read 7250 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Wheel Center bore problem
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
I found out the center bore on the Mercury wheels is a bit smaller than the normal Eagle/Jeep wheels - 70.3mm vs. 71.5mm.  Its causing interference with the hub.  The mechanic I use suggested I find somebody to bore the hole bigger.  Anyone got suggestions on what type of shop might do that kind of work?  Or do I just take a grinder to them and do a less precise job?  Thanks in advance.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Wheel Center bore problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36:48 PM »
That's a common AMC problem -- trying to use Ford wheels on them.    I don't see any problem with hogging out the holes, as long as your lug holes are tight ( so the lug nuts will keep things centered well).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
  I did something similar with a hole saw  and a wooden plug .  I drilled a plug out of a 2x4 and left it in the hole saw as a guide in the wheel hole and cut the wheel to the right size (or as close as possible). In your case it would be a 2 and 13/16 "  hole saw .  If that makes sense.  But yes a grinder would OK .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:01 AM »
There is a way of doing them with a cylinder hone depending on the style.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
the best way to do this is to take them to a local machine and have them bored. you will need to find a shop that has a lathe with a big enough swing to handle it. .010-.020 clearence is good. that will keep them from being too sloppy. i have done quite a few myself, it takes less than an hour to do four of them. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »
I used to have a pipe lathe from a company that did Natural Gas and oil pipelines. Very large pass through head on it with 2 jaws. One hung off the "back of the head" which had plenty of room to put a 40" tire with rim on so I could open the hole or just buff it up so rust didn't stick the wheel to the hub. it wasn't as accurate as the bed side, but it worked for stuff like this. An old tire balance machine could be modded the same way.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
Thanks everybody for your responses.  I did find a machine shop that will do this for me at a reasonable price, so hope to get that taken care of next week.  The name of the shop is ---

AMC Machining!!!  How appropriate
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
I had some alloys from an aerostar once, and used a grinding wheel on a drill. It was a pita

Manitowoc WI

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Hi,

I´m probably before the same problem. I would like to buy chrome discs and I´m not able to find out the right center bore. Do you have any tip? I don´t want to use centering rings.
The second is ET. Don´t you know how is the factory´s ET on discs in our Eagles? Do you think I might use ET -10? It means wheels would be wider (as they told me in shop) about 3cm (1,181") on each side. I would like to know what happen after turning of wheel.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Click for Praha, Česko Forecast" height="90" width="160     

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
Hi,

I´m probably before the same problem. I would like to buy chrome discs and I´m not able to find out the right center bore. Do you have any tip? I don´t want to use centering rings.
The second is ET. Don´t you know how is the factory´s ET on discs in our Eagles? Do you think I might use ET -10? It means wheels would be wider (as they told me in shop) about 3cm (1,181") on each side. I would like to know what happen after turning of wheel.

The machine shop did a good job of making the center bore the right size.  They did not take off enough material on the first attempt, but I took them back and made the holes a little larger, everything is working fine. 
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Are we talking wheel rims? I'm not with it tonight.

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
Yes, we are talking about rims.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Click for Praha, Česko Forecast" height="90" width="160     

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk