News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 04:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pinion seal replacement  (Read 8587 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Pinion seal replacement
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
Noticed the rear axle pinion seal on my '84 is starting to leak. What's the torque spec for the nut and is there anything special to do while in there? Basically just remove the nut, yoke, seal and install is reverse of that, right?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Pinion seal replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
Well, there is no actual foot-pound torque spec for that nut.  That's because its supposed to be torqued to compress a crush sleeve under the pinion bearing to a particular "drag" factor (measured in inch pounds) when spinning an unloaded differential.   IMHO, you'd be OK torquing it to 60 pounds or so, then check for any "up and down" play on the pinion.  If there's play, you may need to tighten it some more to get rid of the play (ie; to compress the crush sleeve some more).   

The manual actually says the torque spec to be "original rotating torque plus 5 inch pounds".   So to do it "right", you'd ned to take a rotating torque reading before disassembly.  Then tighten the nut to the new rotating torque spec.

Good luck with it.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
Explain the rotating torque reading? I think I understand but would like to be sure.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »
You should really use a dial torque wrench to check for pinion preload. A beam one will work also, but a little more difficult to see exactly what it's pointing at when you're rotating it. Many get lucky when just using an impact wrench, but it's easy to overcrush the crush sleeve and throw everything out of whack and either ruin the gears or the pinion bearing. Here is a post from another site that shows the correct way to do it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/dana-35-pinion-seal-replacement-question-722425/index2.html#post10170755. Here's the whole thread with some other ideas like using a paint mark and counting the number of threads to remove the nut. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/dana-35-pinion-seal-replacement-question-722425/index2.html#post10170755.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:56:12 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »
I just replaced mine; used a torque wrench to take the nut off (noting the required torque), replaced the seal, tightened the nut to the same torque as it took to take it off. 

I think this will be ok.  Anyone have feedback on my method?
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
I just replaced mine; used a torque wrench to take the nut off (noting the required torque), replaced the seal, tightened the nut to the same torque as it took to take it off. 

I think this will be ok.  Anyone have feedback on my method?
You might get lucky and be fine. One thing you have to consider is that there might be some rust or corrosion present when taking off the nut creating increased torque readings that won't be there when you reinstall the nut.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
I've had luck with the paint mark method and checking with a digital torque wrench that it's in spec. It's better to under-tighten and check it than to over tighten and now need a new crush washer.

Also, check for a groove and if it exists make sure the new seal is at a slightly different depth.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Mine was finger tight when I got it. I torqued to 80 foot lbs and rechecked a week later. That was 10 years ago on my MJ.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
Mine was finger tight when I got it.

Just went to take mine out and it was slightly more than finger tight. Checked the play on the yoke before I removed the nut and there was no front to rear play just the normal side to side gear play.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk