News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 01:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fuel systems and upgrades in general  (Read 5975 times)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
fuel systems and upgrades in general
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
im picking up my first eagle this weekend and am looking for one to turn into a toy also. is it easy to upgrade the fuel systems in these? also how hard is it to do a head swap/performance upgrade? considering a drag strip project.
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: fuel systems and upgrades in general
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
playing with the idea of disabling the 4x4 or making it a mud drag car as mud bogs are big where i am
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
3 simple and powerful upgrades (In order)

#1 - Motorcraft 2150 carburetor conevrsion

#2 - TFI ir HEI distributor upgrade

#3 - 4.0 head swap

All are affordable and pretty straight forward.  Of course there are headers, intakes, etc but the 3 listed above will wake up that 4.2 and surprise a lit of peple running V-8's.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
Good call PeterM.  No sense in disabling the 4x4.  If you don't need it/want it, sell/trade it w/ someone else for what you are looking for. 
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »
An Eagle without 4X4 is no longer an Eagle.  I don't see turning a somewhat rare vehicle into something it's not when there are so many ordinary cars out there that would be much more suitable.
That being said, it's yours to do with as you please and you will find help here.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »
I would also like to suggest getting either a nice concord, spirit, or Hornet.  Hornets look bada$$ all done up.

I've seen two corvettes in my lifetime that were made into a 4x4, and it's just wrong (IMHO).  If you want a 4x4 get a truck, Jeep, or even better, an Eagle.

If you want a car to turn into a drag car, why start with a 4x4?

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
An Eagle's not a great drag race platform.
I agree with what people previously said.

An eagle is going to be a lot heavier than a concord, with a smaller engine.
Depending on how fast you want to do, I'd look into something with a bigger motor or lighter from the factory.

I have no problem with you turning an Eagle into a drag project, it just might not be the best suited car.

Also you need to look into the chassis and drivetrain strength, again, depending on how fast you want to go.

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
the local strips dont usually go by best time they go by most consistant time so fast isnt always what you want

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
the local strips dont usually go by best time they go by most consistant time so fast isnt always what you want

Ahh, bracket racing.
That makes it a lot less important about overall speed then.
I've been at the track and seen 17 second car's win bracket racing tournaments just because of how consistent they were.

In that case, an eagle is a lot less terrible of a choice.
With the things Gronk suggested you should be able to able to run something quick enough that you'll find a group to be placed in. [Usually they do it in 1-2 second groups. Ex: 15-17 second cars].

You have the benefit of 4x4 to make your launches consistent, but you also won't be making enough power for it to be much of an issue.

Call your local track, or even just go by and see what kind of classes they break car's into.
A lot of track's don't have any/many cars over 16.50 seconds. If that's the case, you'll need to shave quite a bit of time off your ET.

What are some details on the car?
4 cyl or I6?
Manual or auto?
Wagon? SX4? Sedan?

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
the one i currently am getting is an 85 sedan auto with the 6cyl. but im looking for another 2 door or sedan to play with as i want to restore the 85 to factory specs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk