Choose style:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Perfect! And a job well gone. Congrats to you!
Project Cars / Re: 1980 Eagle Sport STW 258+TF998 "Silver Beast" (from Finland)
« Last post by juhap on Yesterday at 11:04:46 AM »
and done...

Project Cars / Re: You bought what?? 88 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
« Last post by amcfool1 on March 26, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
x2 on the one piece gasket, #fel-OS34308R, just put one on my last rebuild, good luck, gz
« Last post by mudkicker715 on March 26, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
Another thought is the 4.0l oil pan gasket is a better gasket. Its a rubber 1 peice gasket from felpro.
« Last post by mudkicker715 on March 26, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
You are looking at the same thing.
« Last post by amarshall on March 26, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
Darn it.  My oil pressure sender is dry.  You got me excited for second!

Yeah amcfool1, I'm with you on the fluid change.  That's part of the reason I went this far, along with the torn half-shaft boot.  All that stacked up to at least take out the front axle.  I opened up the axle and it looked good to me, no obvious problems. Fluid wasn't that bad, and no metal bits anywhere.  Whew.

Eaglefreek, is the "torque converter inspection cover" the same as the little flywheel cover panel?  Just to make sure I'm looking the right place.
Project Cars / Re: 1980 Eagle Sport STW 258+TF998 "Silver Beast" (from Finland)
« Last post by juhap on March 26, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
Welded... just needs some lead...

One done, four more to go.
« Last post by eaglefreek on March 26, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
The transfer case would be still connected to the transmission. Just make sure you support it with a jack so you can adjust the angle. At that point, you're about 80%-90% of the way there to remove the engine. :)  If the transmission input seal was leaking, you would see  a lot of fluid inside the bell housing after you removed the torque converter inspection cover. Also, make sure you take a good look at your oil pressure sender and make sure it's not leaking.
« Last post by amcfool1 on March 26, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
hi, while you have the front axle out, change the fluid in it! it is a real PITA doing this with axle on the car. good luck, gz
« Last post by amarshall on March 26, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Alrighty.  Pics fixed above for hopefully the last time.  From now on I'm using photobucket, though I agree that it's king of cumbersome.

Thanks for the advice, especially vangremlin and eaglefreek.  I have the front axle and starter out, and I've read the procedures from the TSM, Clymer, and Chilton.  I had a little time yesterday, and I must have laid under that thing for half an hour trying to make a plan.  Yesterday I was feeling pretty lousy about it, that I was in over my head.  I REALLY don't want to drop the frame crossmember, just looks like a big job.

Luckily I haven't touched the oil pan bolts yet, so I can still put it back together.  I'm pretty sure the leak is the rear main.  The valve cover was leaking but that has been fixed.  I took off the plate that covers the flywheel, and most of the oil crud was on the outside of the cover.  Seems like the rear main is the most likely source, but I also read something about the trans output shaft seal so now I'm worried about that too.

The procedure eaglefreek mentioned seems possible to me, I would feel OK about taking out the trans crossmember and letting the trans and engine sag a bit.  But I wonder about the transfer case - that would have to sag also, correct? Or maybe just take it out, hmmm.

I've done a lot on this car, but maybe I need to find a shop to bail me out on a couple big items.  I'll keep you guys posted.  Thanks again for the support!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 17 queries.