The Mighty 258 > The Engine

4.6 stroker rocker arms

(1/1)

maddog:
So I'm slowly getting my stroker built and I have a question, is it safe to reuse the rocker arms that came in the engine originally, or should I get some new stock replacement stamped steel ones, or some of the fancy roller ones. The engine is a 91 4.0 high output that's been bored .030 over with a comp cams camshaft and lifters and the crank out of my 4.2.

Taylor:
From what little I have read on the subject. The used parts have been worn in to essentially match the other warn in parts that they have been running against. So any reused parts would all need to go back in the same place. Same rockers used with same valves and pushrods, I think the lifters and cam would need to be reused.
I am slowly trying to gather the parts I need to replace all of them.
I don’t remember if this was covered when I went to auto mechanics in college 40 years ago.
Bottom line, I would definitely consult a professional rebuilder. Or plan to replace it all.

maddog:
That's kind of what I was figuring would be the answer and hoping would not be the answer about reusing them. I was just hoping to be able to save a little money because I'm going to need new pushrods. Now I just need to know if I need to get the fancy and very expensive roller rockers or if I'm okay to use the factory style stamped steel ones.

vangremlin:
There seems to be a lot of info out there on building a stroker engine in the Jeep community.  Maybe you can find some useful info via a google search.

It is my understanding that this build usually uses the 4.0 head.  I had a 4.0 head installed in my Kammback, and I think they kept the rocker arms that were on the 4.0 head.  Let me see if I can find the thread that may have some useful pictures.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version