News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headlight and wiper problems help!  (Read 10626 times)

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Headlight and wiper problems help!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:33 AM »
Do you guys put anything on your valve cover gasket? I just got a cork one I don't know if I should put any adhesive on it or not.
83 sx4 driver
83 wagon limited (project)
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
98 24valve Cummins work truck (beast)
94 suburban daily driver
93 freightliner FLD 120 (beast)

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
I always stick it to the cover with some generic spray glue, like 3m Super 77 or similar.    Keeps the gasket in place when finagling the cover into place, and makes it not pooch out as bad when you tighten the bolts.   I put nothing on the head side of the gasket.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
hi, so, install the valve cover gasket yet? not a bad job EXCEPT for the last bolt against the firewall. (you do have the 258 six, right?) a 1/4" FLEX extension is needed there, also helps if you take the wiper motor out of the way. good luck, gz

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
Thanks guys! And no I haven't just yet been busy and I'll need to clean everything really well around it before I do it cuz it's got a lot of residue everywhere. Is it possible to do it without taking the wiper motor off?
83 sx4 driver
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
94 suburban daily driver

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
yes it is, but makes the job exponentially harder, the wiper motor is only four little screws, no need to disconnect it, just unscrew the whole assembly and lift it up and to the side as far  as it will go. Personally, I just take it off..but..don't lose that clip!  The valve cover will not lift straight up, no room, you will need to rock it side to side, and it will eventually clear and come off while tilting it to the PASS side. If it really will not come off, bump the engine over until the rockers on #6 cylinder are at their lowest point. good luck, gz

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »
For what its worth, djdelee421, even after I removed my wiper motor (which IS really simple), I still had trouble getting to that back bolt.  The sheet metal (right under the bottom sill of the wiper motor plate) had a lip that protruded forward just enough to interfere with the action of my flex extension.  I ended up getting my Dremel and cutting out a 3 inch long section of that lip, just so I could get a straight shot at that bolt.  I also removed my hood, which helped a lot.

Other posters here seem to have gotten to it without as much drama, but that's what I had to do.

Figure it to be a three beer/two Bandaid job, at least.  Good luck with it.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »
Hey guys I got another electrical problem haven't gotten to the valve cover gasket yet. So in a base sx4 it should not have a rear defrost or wiper right? Well someone took the center dash piece with the radio and Heat a/c thing is at. Well they took that out because it was broken and put a wagon one in and for some reason the wires to the defroster switch are connected to something and the wires have power! So what do I do?! There's absolutely no wires going to the hatch. There's no wiper or defroster lines in the window so why is this switch connected and why is it hot? Thanks everyone
83 sx4 driver
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
94 suburban daily driver

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »
all cars were wired for whatever options the buyer did/did not purchase. Not quite sure why this is a problem for you, just cap 'em and leave 'em alone. good luck, gz

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »
So it's okay that the wire is hot?
83 sx4 driver
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
94 suburban daily driver

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
dont really know, just make sure you have a good wire nut or something on it so it doesn't touch ground (anything metal) and short something out, the factory usually had female spade connectors, insulated, on their power wires. good luck, gz
if anything, now you know you have a good power source for an accessory, like maybe a voltmeter, also check if it is switched or unswitched power, ie hot only with ignition key on, or hot all the time.

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
Well update I got my valve cover all done did it without taking the wiper motor off and got it all torqued down and now I'm going to do a tranny service so I'll take any suggestions thanks guys!
83 sx4 driver
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
94 suburban daily driver

Offline djdelee421

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
What does everyone put on their transmission pan? I have a rubber gasket and I'm curious what kind of adhesive to use. And in the filter kit I got 2 rubber gaskets do use both or is it a choice? I don't really get that
83 sx4 driver
85 wagon limited (parts)
86 wagon driver
73 VW beetle (project)
68 Kaiser jeep (project)
85 GMC Sierra (project)
94 suburban daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk