News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 02:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone blocked off their cowl opening?  (Read 8213 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Has anyone blocked off their cowl opening?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 11:17:53 AM »
After the PO of one my eagles did some serious engine restoration the car sat for 10 years. I noticed cottonwood or whatever seeds in the outside top vent - the kind that look like a helicopter blade when they fall. When I later removed the dash I couldn't believe the hundreds more I found inside. Once they get in the outside the moving air later forces them down inside the car. It can't be good for heating/cooling.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 03:07:59 AM »
That cowl area is a high pressure area. The air actually spins backwards at the bottom of the windshield. Hints the reason cowl induction hood scoops work very well. Air is actually forced into the hood scoop from the windshield. I would go for a piece of marine vinyl, with wide seams on the edges with magnets in place to cover the cowl opening, and be removeable easily.
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »
I'm trying to come up with something to do with mine. I have water pouring in the driverside floor in from the cabin air port. The one with the push pull know. To it to the car wash last night and that's when I found out where it was coming from. What would cause this?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
Rust under the cowl or totally clogged with pine needles like mine was. I used a leaf blower to flush all the needles out after wasting 2 hours trying to do it with 1 arm (right arm was in a sling after surgery to reinsert it in my shoulder socket) Did that right before I replaced the heater core (also one armed)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk