News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 3409 times)

Offline kevin hughes

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Transmission
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
I need help with my auto tranny.  I was told not to repair the original.   There was a another tranny,  stronger and would fit easly.  Problem, I don't remember  which tranny or vehicle to get it from. My car is the  1980. 6 cyl.  Auto trans.  Drive and reverse went out. Previous owner pulled out tranny and quit. Also missing torque convert. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:41:52 PM by kevin hughes »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Transmission
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:42 PM »
hi, and welcome to the den! Before we can answer any questions, um, tell us what car/engine/ trans you have! If you have an automatic, it is the TQ998, and is a VERY good trans. Whoever told you not to rebuild it, is simply wrong.
There is a stronger trans out there, the TQ 727, out of FSJs, that will bolt in, but it will take about 20hp more to turn than a 998. A stock 258 can not really afford this, but, its there  if you want. good luck, gz

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Do you have a 4cyl. or 6 cyl? Either way as amcfool mentioned, it's a Torqueflite transmission. The 4cyl will have a 904 and the 6cyl. a 998 which is a 904 with some very minor changes. The TF727 is heavier and requires more HP to turn not mention they have a higher first gear ratio which will kill acceleration. If you have a 6cyl. with a 998, you can have it rebuilt to TF999 specs.  Which I think gives it one more clutch plate and a wider front band, if I recall. I was told it's one of the easiest transmissions  to rebuild. Find a Jeep or offroad shop and ask them who they use to rebuild their transmissions.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »
anyone care to give a ball-park figure on what they could expect t pay for an automatic transmission rebuild?
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »
around here, about $800. complete (with tq. converter) a little more if they have to pull and reinstall. Had one done last year. So what Eagle do you have?  good luck, gz

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »
I just rebuilt my 998 recently. If your handy with tools and very little common sense you can rebuild it yourself.   I pulled and reinstalled with a motorcycle lift with little to no help.
I spent about $200 on a torque converter (it was a custom one I had made, check my project thread for links)
about another $175 on a "performance" rebuild kit. (links also on my project thread I think)
about $75 on a transgo shift kit which is not really needed.
most tools like bearing/bushing presses and slide hammers I rented from autozone. I also used a lot of sockets to press in the new bushings.
to be safe I would order some extra bushings incase they are pressed in wrong and you need to try again. Thats the only issue I ran into, they are pretty cheap too.
Add another $75-100 for extras like fluid, cleaners, tools etc.

I wasn't even sure how this trans worked before I tore into it. Works great with about 1000 miles on it so far.

hope this helps.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
I am somewhat curious. I have an '83 with the model 998. When I get through with the project I'm working on I'll mention what I think will be a bit of a brain twister when trying to diagnose a trans - driveline - rear end problem in my other Eagle. Not too long ago I would have though $800 was expensive but my neighbors  can't seem to get anything done on their cars for less than $400 today. TEagles may have something there also however.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline Baskinator4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
While I've never personally taken one of these in for a rebuild, I can imagine $800 is reasonable today. The 998 is one of the easiest auto transmissions to rebuild, and it would only take an experienced professional a few hours.

Of course that does not include removal and reinstallation in the vehicle. You would need to take it to the shop yourself.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »
If I ever get to that point I'll have to get a quote on how much extra for them to remove & reinstall.
1976 gremlin
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
About 5 years ago, I paid $600 for a performance rebuild(to 999 specs) with a new converter.  I removed and installed the transmission myself. However, one thing to consider, most shops may not warranty the transmission if they don't install it.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
I forgot about that warranty.
1976 gremlin