News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best way to remove entire drivetrain?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Best way to remove entire drivetrain?
« on: September 28, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
Getting ready to do a drive train swap on the Eagle. Going with a late model 4.0 NV3550 and NP229.

I'd like to remove the old drive train as one unit and install the new one as one unit.

I'm thinking the best way would be to drop the trans cross member and front axle and roll the car out from over the motor. Is it as easy as it sounds?

Sean
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Best way to remove entire drivetrain?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
I've done it in all together. You have to make sure you have a engine hoist that can lift the engine high enough to get over the radiator support. I did it by myself and pulled the hoist out. It was tough because the weight of the transmission and transfer case put it on a heavy angle and trying to lift those up and pull it out, took some  finesse. If ypu have an extra person, it would definitely help.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 02:03:57 AM »
Didn't even realize that was an option, wow! My engine hoist will get it all pretty high, it's the rough driveway I'm worried about haha
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
its been done through the bottom also just need to lift the body high enough

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
I have done motor and trans only that was tight though.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
you'll need to allow for the nearly 7 feet of engine, trans and transfer case when you set up your chain. I've done this a few times and have run into trouble with having enough tilt too angle the setup over then under.  you might want one of those engine load levelers
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk