News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modified Eagle : Headlight switch for offroad lights  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Modified Eagle : Headlight switch for offroad lights
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
I've heavily modified my Eagle and am currently using an XJ column in place. It's really nice since all it too was cutting the rag joint a few inches, popped right in like new. Anyways, the XJ column has all the wiper stuff on it so I've been thinking about changing the old wiper controls to a headlight switch to use for offroad lights.

http://bmadore.squarespace.com/articles/2012/5/5/headlight-switch-terminals.html

This has the pinouts. I've been debating having adjustable headlights, so I assume by this diagram I'd use "I" and "B2" for my needs.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Modified Eagle : Headlight switch for offroad lights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
If by adjustable you mean able to dim the lights like the dash lights then yes . But you need to check amp draw on the lights you want to install . I don't know what the rated capacity is on the rheostat . I doubt it would hold up very long .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Right now I have regular (as in non-LED) lights up front. Might be an idea to tie them into the regular headlight connectors on the switch to start, when I swap for LED lights in the front then the rheostat should be able to handle those I'd think.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
I doubt LED headlights would be dimmable. It takes special LEDs to be able to do that.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk