News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upgrades for my SX/4  (Read 4020 times)

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Alaskan Girl - 82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport Fan
Upgrades for my SX/4
« on: July 05, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »
Hey Guys,
So I got my ol'girl back from the shop and shes running and driving good. Still needs some work but shes on her way. Shes going in for a new set of tires, and an alignment on Friday. Her current rubbers are pretty weathered and I don't wanna take a chance...

I'm looking into upgrading from her current Carter BBD Carb, any suggestions? (Something that will swap easily without an issue)
Also, I would like to weed some of her unneeded vacuum lines out. I seen a diagram post on this awhile back but can't find it now. Any tips here would be awesome.
She's pretty much stock, so any other ideas for getting her running tip top would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Pics below of my ol'girl. (she needs some body work, all in due time. And I have the grille, just haven't put it on yet.) :)
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Upgrades for my SX/4
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
I used there 4.2  literr fuel injection kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Fuel-Injection-System-Complete-TBI-For-Stock-304-360-401-AMC-Engine-EFI-/322314336267?hash=item4b0b6e780b:g:kS8AAOSw4UtWS51W&vxp=mtr Complete kit with wire harness with  good instruction. Or you could find a donor chevy with a 4.3 liter and remove it and fit it to your 258.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
Wow, :o that upgrade is pretty spendy to say the least. What would be the benefits and pit falls of upgrading to a fuel infected system?
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
the benefits would be better fuel economy, easier to pass emissions testing, run better, no more bumping gas pedal to start it
it would basically make like a modern car as far as start ups and drivability. I am thinking of going to this, actually pretty affordable for fuel injection with timing control, short of going to a junk yard and making your own

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
hi, what you can do depends on your budget and skill level. First, what is wrong with your carb now? It may just need a cleanup and a rebuild kit for about $25. Check for vacuum leaks. The vacuum diagram is on the passenger side cowl., if you don't have a TSM, also here on Eaglepedia. A properly tuned Carter BBD runs very well.
Next, if you do want a new carb, the Motorcraft 2100/2150 is a good choice, and relatively inexpensive, but will need an adapter, and rework linkage.
Another option is the Weber 32/36, or 38/38, a little more money.  Or, an Offy intake and a small 4bbl, lots of options, but research everything first.
Last, if you can afford it, is FI, but even with a kit, this will require some fabrication.
To change anything, you also have to consider timing and distributor, the DUI is best.
Unless you are just rolling in $$, I recommend you try to fix what you have first, It's there and paid for! Then as your knowledge of this car grows, and you get familiar in the engine bay, you can consider upgrades/swaps. good luck, gz

Offline DIREWOLF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
In Alaska where I am, we don't have IM's anymore so that's not an issue for me. I have a fare amount a knowledge when it comes to cars but the AMC vacuum system and carb is pretty new. I'm learning what makes this ol'girl tick as I go. :) I had an old wagon with the same Carter BBD carb that I rebuilt and the mechanic that looked at it afterwords said other than a little tuning I did a finamanal job. So I'll prolly just rebuild this one as well. I have money to put into the car, but by no means am I "rolling in it". Haha I want her to prove herself before I go dumping $$ into her. (Aka, her motor is solid)  She just runs a little rough and has a hard time starting sometimes and I'm unsure what that could be other then carb or vacuum lines. It's like she has a slight miss. But I've done all the tune up requirements other than rebuilding the carb. Before I got her running she's been down and out I believe since around 04, going off her tags. amcfool1 - can you tell me what to expect if I rebuild her carter BBD? What possible problems it may solve?
Also, do y'all know where the diagram is on here that shows what vacuum lines I can and can't remove?

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)
82 AMC Eagle SX/4 Sport

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
IMHO, the BBD's are great carbs.   Do the AMC service bulletin (drill out the bottom of the idle bleed tubes to 0.030; cures a multitude of AMC BBD issues)), get the metering height and accelerator pump height set dead-on; and you'll have a great carb!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
hi, well, if it hasn't run since 04 and is running now, that's great! good job. ok, where to start, in 82 iirc, the computer controlled the carb, but not the timing. Before you do anything, check all the vacuum lines. there is a diagram right here on Epedia. Your carb has a stepper motor, check that it is functioning, ie, when cold, look down the carb throat and note position of the needles, turn car on, see if they move. if so, stepper is good. pull carb and rebuild like the last one, but drill out idle tubes to .032, you will need a needle drill set for this. if  it hasn't run in 12+ years, it could use a good cleaning. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk