The Shop > Safety Tips

Safety First! LED's 1157 bulbs in taillights and signal

(1/4) > >>

JayRamb:
As I was driving to a car show 2 weeks ago for a National Night out event, sponsored by the St. Paul Police Department, I always drive cautiously in traffic. I rarely rarely take my Eagle out when it is weekly rush hour traffic, but there was a car show! 

I always touch the brake to forewarn those behind me (HEY I AM STOPPING!). Well an Asian lady was on her cell phone in her Toyota Camry, and practically rear ended me. I was furious and scared. So I remember talking to my friend, AMC'er, Jerry. He said, 'Install LED's in your taillights like I did on my Ambassador'. He was paranoid of getting rear ended and wanted to make sure he was 'seen'!

So, thanks to that website with the colorful 4 letter word, I hooked me up some LED's. I will be installing those this week on my wagon's taillights! Looking forward to it! Not only will I be seen, but I will be noticed even more.  "HEY THAT EAGLE HAS LED'S...THAT'S AN EAGLE!!!! MY MOM USED TO HAVE ONE!! I love comments like those!

vangremlin:
Good suggestion, I used to have some in my TBird.  I also installed a 3rd brakelight in my Kammback.  I've picked up one for my coupe also, just need to find the time to install it!

Billman:
Is this conversion just bulbs or are relays required for voltage to make it work?

carnuck:
You swap the bulbs, and you will need an electronic flasher replacement or your signals won't work unless it's a resistored bulb.

eaglefreek:
Yes, no relay needed. LEDs use less much less amperage and hence the need for the electronic flasher. In my research for changing to LEDs,  I've seen reviews that they aren't an improvement in some lenses designed for incandescent bulbs depending on the number and  how the LEDs are arranged. Somebody was working on LED taillights for our Eagles, but haven't heard any new info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version