News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 09:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 338356 times)

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #735 on: January 11, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
I misunderstood you earlier, I figured it was a welding shop that was refusing to weld for you.

I know, down here some shops  will not cut out a Catalytic Converter, even if the state does not do emissions testing. 

yes, now I remember why I moved out of Canada.  That whole "Nanny State" thing.  It gets to the point you cant look left or right without breaking some kind of law.  That's no way to live. 
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #736 on: January 11, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »
Ward got his  Saskatchewan safety inspection manual.  Section 1 powertrain, subsection 7 says:

Front/rear spindles/axles
Visually and audibly inspect:
a) condition
b) seals
c) wheel bearings

Reject if:
a) - bent, welded
b) - missing, leaking, installed incorrectly
C) - play exceeds manufacturer's specifications, excessive noise

Ward says this manual is the 2006 version and prior to the previous revision (2002 or 2004ish) it would have been okay to weld on the axle but thats no longer allowed.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #737 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »
Definition of Axle I believe they are talking about he actual axle shaft, not the tube.

the condition of the spindle is no easier to inspect than the condition of the Axle shaft.  You may have the loop hole here.  It did not say the axle tube.  I can see not accepting a welded axle, if the weld fails, the wheel, wheel hub and remainder of the axle could fly off the vehicle.   The shaft is treated for hardness, not the tube.
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #738 on: January 11, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Ward says he's been back and forth with SGI on this a number of times to clarify and axle includes axle housing.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #739 on: January 11, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Definition of Axle I believe they are talking about he actual axle shaft, not the tube.

the condition of the spindle is no easier to inspect than the condition of the Axle shaft.  You may have the loop hole here.  It did not say the axle tube.  I can see not accepting a welded axle, if the weld fails, the wheel, wheel hub and remainder of the axle could fly off the vehicle.   The shaft is treated for hardness, not the tube.

Exactly. The housing is not the axle itself. Check with 4 wheel drive shops in your area. Extra shocks, axle swaps, etc are done all the time. The 2 piece M15 axle shafts are far more unsafe than a shock mount welded to a housing.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #740 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
Ward says he's been back and forth with SGI on this a number of times to clarify and axle includes axle housing.

Then he was dealing with some bumblecrat who is NOT an engineer. They weld extra brackets on axles for the government's own vehicles for mounting plows, overload springs, etc. Welding on a fwd rear axle housing is understandably bad because it is considered part of the suspension. Ask him to check the specifications on live axles. Semi-trailer axles are welded on all the time as well. It just has to be done by a Transport Canada certified welder.

Welding on a shock mount won't warp an axle unless you use excessive amounts in a short period of time.

Does he feel the same way about the mounts on the car for shocks? Because the other option is make the car accept the XJ shocks by putting new mounts on it.

There's yet another option: Bolt on shock mounts
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:10:44 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #741 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »
I'm not going to argue with him by proxy.  He pays the bills, he makes the rules.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #742 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
If I can remember,

I think the old jeeps (1970-1983)ish  used a u-bolt "plate" that had a shock mount as part of the plate.  So the u-bolt wraps around the axle and into the plate that either sits under or over the springs depending on the configuration.  so the shock mount is bolted to the spring pack.
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #743 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
If I can remember,

I think the old jeeps (1970-1983)ish  used a u-bolt "plate" that had a shock mount as part of the plate.  So the u-bolt wraps around the axle and into the plate that either sits under or over the springs depending on the configuration.  so the shock mount is bolted to the spring pack.

If he doesn't want to save money and possibly your life in the long run, I guess that's up to you guys.

I would NOT tow heavy loads with the M15 rear axle. There was even a recall of some that never got done due to the passenger's side axle nut being over tightened at the factory (twice what the spec was) and the hubs suddenly snapping off. I had it happen on my previous '83 wagon when a truck hit me in a parking lot. I went to leave the lot and my tire came off hub and all before I got 100 feet!

As for the shock plate, that's what I was talking about when I said bolt in mount. Comanches have them and that's what I planned to use on my 8.25 axle before I found out the pattern was wider.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:31:35 PM by carnuck »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
We don't do any towing with the eagle, and safety is precisely why he won't consider putting in a Jeep rear end.  I appreciate the suggestion, but its just not on.  If you two want to argue it further please contact SGI directly and take it up with them.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
That happened to about 40% of those cars. It really didn't help AMCs fading image.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »
Can you two please start your own thread if you want to talk about this.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #747 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »

..........HI  priya hope you are surviving this cold cold  cold wither it is baaaaad here  I have a one ton cheve and the drift in front of it is above the hood and about 15 foot long we have had white outs for the last two days cant go any where ..And silver is behind the truck cant get either one out .and the snow blower is brock ..the drive shaft bolt striped ...Its all ways something ....and I don't have a heated shop .stay worm ..........don       
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #748 on: January 25, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
We've had it easy Teneagle.  Its been a little above or a little below freezing the past couple of weeks which is much milder than normal.  Its supposed to get quite a bit colder tomorrow (back to normal January temperatures).  Sorry to hear you're snowed in and your snowblower is broke.  i used to live on an acreage with about a 1/8th mile driveway and it often blew in pretty bad.  I'd have to shovel up to about 100 feet of the driveway it'd take me 3 or 4 days  and often I'd be part way done and it'd blow in again.  On the south side of the driveway I'd have a snowbank over six foot tall late into the winter, it was a real bear.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #749 on: January 25, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »

............HI   I know what you mean ..Its only 100 foot from my house to the road and its been drifted shut for two days now and its another 200 foot out to the barn and you cant even walk out there ...my wife is 5.1 and all you can see of her is her head .....the snow is that deep ...re stay worm....................don 
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk