News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 12:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Control Arm Bushings  (Read 16192 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: New Control Arm Bushings
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
I was just through spring compressors again myself. I'd heard good things about that type of external compressor, about them being safe.

I bought a used one at an online auction for $50 to do the Pacer, and I built my own for the Eagle in the style of the original AMC part. I chiseled the lower mount off a front shock and got the heaviest piece of all-thread that would fit the hole, then bolted it on and brazed it so it wouldn't turn. It installs from the top just like a shock and bolts in with the rubber mounts so it will wobble.

At the top I used some heavy steel bar and put some cut rubber hose to cushion it. Then I got the longest collar nut I could find and a wing nut. Just swap it out with the shock and snug it down, then tighten the wing nut so it doesn't back off while you work. The top and bottom mounts need to flex some as the angle changes.

It's hard to compress with just the all-thread, but it's quite safe for static loads while you're working on ball joints and such. Rolled all-thread would work much better if you can find it.

Very similar to HappyPappy's setup it sounds, but you can use your own spring saddle.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: New Control Arm Bushings
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 01:25:53 AM »
I brought my car home a little over a week ago. The front end feels great. Feels very tight when going over bumps, unlike the rear end. However, I replaced almost everything in the front, so I'm not sure how much the control arm bushings did alone. But overall, I'm pretty happy. At highway speeds, the steering wheel still shakes a little, but I think its because my tires are not round, which I noticed when I had them on the balancer.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk