News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 04:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 Eagle wagon  (Read 36951 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: 1984 Eagle wagon
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:34 AM »
If you put both wires together on the starter it will hang like that.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• "Joy"/8.25 3.55 future 4.0/ax15/np242
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:44 AM »
Thanks Carnuck, or should I say thanks again. Your self and many others have helped and inspired me greatly though out this project. I know I've mentioned it before before I'm greatful to this forum, to all who have been so helpful and to all who share there work here, it's great to be apart of if it.

I did just connect the two wires at the starter. Ill rethink it and look back to the posts to see if I can straighten it out.

On a positive note, Managed to make my transfercase selector work. I didn't think I was going to get the time but it wasnt that bad. Ill try to take some pictures today.

She's ready to come off the ramps and jack stands for a test drive after I bleed the brakes. Can't belive it. So close to a test drive.

Ill post with results
"Whether you think you can or  think you can't ....
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
Look who's out of her nest? Joy. She's been inside since November .
She come out under her own power.

I bled the brakes.

bunch of tweaking but then DMV camping hiking boating paragliding and paramotoring!'n summers her I come

]
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »
Thanks Carnuck, or should I say thanks again. Your self and many others have helped and inspired me greatly though out this project. I know I've mentioned it before before I'm greatful to this forum, to all who have been so helpful and to all who share there work here, it's great to be apart of if it.

I did just connect the two wires at the starter. Ill rethink it and look back to the posts to see if I can straighten it out.

On a positive note, Managed to make my transfercase selector work. I didn't think I was going to get the time but it wasnt that bad. Ill try to take some pictures today.

She's ready to come off the ramps and jack stands for a test drive after I bleed the brakes. Can't belive it. So close to a test drive.

Ill post with results

The trick to kill the hangup of the starter is to run the thick cable that is going to the main terminal of the starter to the solenoid  to the battery side and add a 14 gauge or so wire from where the big cable used to go down to the small wire on the XJ starter. When we did SOTE, I had it hooked up the same as yours and recently read the above trick on a CJ site.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
I'm on it! Thank you  I'm going to tackle that tomorrow morning!!

I hope that one day our paths cross so I could buy ya a beer of a dinner or both.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »
Off subject but this is powered paragliding. One of, if not the coolest ways to explore and see the world.
It's an aircraft that fits in your car and you can fly from a soccer field.

Unbelievably fun, and really not that difficult to do.

One of my hobbies
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
Good to see the Eagle running. I'm sure it's an amazing feeling being in the air, but I like my feet on the ground.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:48 PM »
Getting my eagle running is a great feeling. Seeing the world from a paraglider is too.
I said powered paragliding is relitively easy, that's partially correct.
It is relit only easy, it's also real easy to get into trouble and takes long time to get enough experiance to keep you from hurting yourself. It is aviation after all.

I picked up the misc parts for the first phase fine tuning.
The connectors to change the configuration on my
Starter. 1 last clamp for the exhaust, some vacume line for the distributer.
Illfinish  fill the ax-15, check the fluid in the 8.25 rear. Lug nuts.

After the above I'm ready for a longer test drive, and DMV
Funny, I haven't really driven an eagle, now it's time.

your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
So she's getting closer. I took her to the end of the driveway and back. I filled the ax-15 with 10w-30 (not sure if that is correct, it seams like there were alot of different answers to the question of that the proper fluid was.
Fixed the starter hang up (thanks to carnuck) still working on 4x4 selector for the NP242.  Lug nuts on.
Exhaust clamped down.

I'm on to electrical, interior  and final assembly

During the quick drive I took everything  went smooth. it shifted well stopped and steered ok.
It seamed to bog down real quick if I tried to give it too much gas. I was thinking later that it was likely
That the choke was still closed. I'm definitely going to manual choke so I know if it's on/off or somewhere in between.  It's feels strange, Ive had her for this long and have only driven an Eagle this once.

I'm  Hopeing get some more done today.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
Hoping to get out for some more work today and the next couple of days. I rewired the starter and it works perfectly!! Thanks carnuck.
I'm pleased that so far the ax-15 seems to shift ok. Clutch disengauges/engauges as it should.
No unusual noises as of yet. She still seemed to bog down/hesitate some but haven't really got any time one her. It must be adjustments as well because just about everything is new.

We'll see what happens. On to wiring

I'm thinking I might be able to go to DMV and see what it's going to take to get her to be a legal eagle.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
On the bog, try 5 degrees more timing advance.

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
I'm back, it's been a while since I posted. Seems I got more done on my eagle in the cold of winter than now but...
My daily driver tdi VW quit and now it's time.

I'm just finishing up with the tach install, going to do a quick search for the parts for interimitant wiper part
(Going to try the 1981 ford f100 wiper parts) if I cannot get that going I'm moving in to re assembly registration and driving.

Funny, I bought and instrument cluster  for a tach, turned out the tach was toast. I figured I tossed that money out the window only later to discover it wasnt the tach I was buying but rather the clear plastic that I was going to need. It doesn't have the hole in it for the clock.

Any way. I'm just about to brake my lift gate hinge. (Passenger side)

Does anyone have one? It seems like it would be a good part to be reproduced, maybe later printed.

I'll post as she comes along

Thanks carnuck, I'm going to try your 5 degrees suggestion.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2015, 04:25:22 AM »
I'm back, and it's almost legal! I have a temporary registration. Now I have to get a ViN varification and that's it!

I'm not sure the last time this eagle (joy) was driven but I'm sure glad to have her.

So far the problems are timing and carb tuning and not sure where I have an oil leak but I sure for one.

I need to re check everything but a trip to go get gas is a big step.

I need to nail down the timing. It was amazing at what a huge range of timing she was willing to run at.

Ill post progress as it happens

Thanks to all that have helped me!!! I might have done it in my own but it is great having such a great group of people for surpport. THANKS!!!! To all.
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2015, 03:10:21 AM »
Well, the DMV kinda messed me up. They closed their doors for a week. Would have been good if they could have let me know. The good news is I jumped thru all their hoops and I just have to go back one more time to get a percent plate.

So "joy" is only parked for a bit. So far the 5speed arrangement is working well.

The gronk carb had some issues. There was fuel leaking from gasket at the pump discharge nozzle screw.

I hope this was the problem with it running crappy because I was unable to get it to smooth out and run well.

I'll be back at trying to figure things out.

What a blast to drive!!!
your right"
Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk