News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From British Columbia  (Read 3058 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
From British Columbia
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:43 PM »
Okay, this is the third revision of this post because CleanTalk is currently set to "paranoid" it seems.

I bought an eagle wagon last September. It needs work. I am looking forward to talking about it more here.
Here's a photo of the car:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:27:15 PM by MIPS »

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: From British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:30:39 PM »
Ooooh that body looks very well kept!  Grats.  Side note: is your name a reference to the CPU architecture?
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
Yeah, it would be neat to have a list somewhere of the banned words so we can avoid tripping the computer nanny
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
Clean talk is not the filter for keeping certain words filtered. If there were a list of banned words, would you be able to see it? Just seemed like an ironic statement.

Nice eagle otherwise. Welcome to the den.

Manitowoc WI

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Sure I guess, but can you give hints toward what youre not supposed to talk about? it seems to complain about some pretty innocuous stuff, and its hard to tell what is triggering it.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:20:41 PM »
I cannot say with certainty what triggers it. Also this is a relatvely new complaint. It has popped up before but not in quite some time. So what i can think of is the obvious, besides the N UTT ER bypass. That word/name/bypass has history from ca. 20yrs back.

Manitowoc WI

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »
Ah, okay. Well then I will keep an eye on what things it complains about. Thanks for the tip.

Okay, lets try this again, starting with pictures I missed on the first post.

So this Eagle has been floating around the BC lower Mainland classifieds for a while. I know this because the wheels, mileage and the side everyone took a photo of is this side. Not the other which has broken or missing kraton panels. I paid $2000CAD for it and did a full inspection at the guy's house trying to find some fault that explained why this had been on the market so long with no buyers. It did have weirdness with the carb, some expected wear but virtually no rust, it drove city roads and highway fine and any missing parts were included in a Rubbermaid tub, including some nice spares like a replacement DuraSpark module, some parts of the Sol-Vac vacuum system (plus the two missing sun visors in the photo above) and the AMC mechanics manual. At that same time there was another Eagle at the local Pick-A-Part and I scooted over there right after I had the paperwork done and stripped a few odds and ends out of it, including the entire SelectDrive system as someone had mentioned it likes to fail a lot. I was also able to salvage all but the front passenger side bumper cap, so I have almost all the missing exterior trim pieces AND there was apparently someone there who is also a member of this forum and recommended I register. Thank you by the way. From there it was a drive back into the hills, again with no complaints from the car aside from a bad rear diff pinion bearing. It finally croaked seven hours later when it got home, then went into town for the above photo, then slipped into false neutral and that was it folks, the automatic had to be rebuilt. Painfully that was another lump of cash but now the item that bothers me the most is under a 5-year warranty.

Over the winter I read through the manual and dug through this forum. Good read. At the same time I determined that the Carter 2BBD had previously seen a partial and poorly done rebuild, so it still needs to be redone from scratch. The emissions system was partially working and the catalytic converter had been removed probably some time back in 2014 when emissions restrictions were removed around here. At this point I have the entire emissions and computer feedback systems working again but am waiting on the rebuild before I put in a new O2 sensor, otherwise the constant rich condition will ruin the new sensor.
The SelectDrive is also now partially working. The front actuator operates however the rear on the transfer case will not. I am slowly working my way through the lines but I have a rebuilt actuator if it comes down to it.
The car has some weird options. I have Cruise Control and power seats but no air conditioning or lower tray package. Originally I found the seats were sluggish but this turned out to be the body grounding strap was loose. The Cruise Control had been entirely removed but after testing the actuator and replacing its internal filter it was reinstalled and is almost ready to be recalibrated once a new vacuum canister comes in.
Speaking of computer control, while I have yet to budget for the proper OTC diagnostic tool I have been hard at work building my own diagnostic module. Simply it gives me the status of everything at the diagnostic connector, including the O2 sensor, at a glance without any additional computer control. Plug it in and it's off and running. As an electrical engineer myself I find it adorable how simple the fuel feedback system is in the Eagle. I will most certainly spend more time trying to reverse engineer the computer. Anyone have a 6 cylinder CeC they would donate to the cause of depotting?

For now though it's mainly catching up on preventative maintenance. Coolant flush, oil change, new fuel, cooling and vacuum hoses, plugs, cables, distributor and an adjustment of the timing. It's running a little better every day, but it certainly has a lot of items that are past their replacement schedule.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:49:14 AM by MIPS »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
Sure I guess, but can you give hints toward what youre not supposed to talk about? it seems to complain about some pretty innocuous stuff, and its hard to tell what is triggering it.

Also i am not the owner of the site, so i would never alter any settings. I just volunteer my time to help out. Taylor Williams is the admin/site owner.

Manitowoc WI

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 05:48:38 PM »
eh, I guess its not that big a deal

Cool diagnostic machine MIPS
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
We are going to need more info on that diagnostic machine, amazing work.  Welcome to the forum too.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
I can't. The forum is completely losing its mind. Now it won't even let me post using my regular browser.

Any technical speak drives CleanTalk crazy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:13:50 AM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk