News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Battery  (Read 13863 times)

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Eagle Battery
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
My Eagle battery died a few days ago after 5 years and it was a Sears diehard 72 month battery group size 56. I was told by sears that this group size was discontinued because there is not many vehicles that use it and that they have no other replacement that is compatible for my Eagle. I have been searching on the internet now for a couple of days with no luck. I also went to a few auto parts stores and who ever had that size avaialable wanted anywhere from $189 to $250 and it only had a 12 month full replacement warranty, no prorating it, and wouldnt even list the amount of years it would be good for, plus it was sitting on their shelfs for up to 6 months. The dust on some of them was so thick you would think they would clean them a little before showing them. This gives me the impression that these battery makers arent confident in their own products. I did find a few smaller ones that may fit my battery tray, but they all have a low cranking power and with the cold winters in New York that is not good considering the car is not started every day.

Has anyone else had this problem finding the right battery and what did you do to correct it?
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
1970 Ford Torino GT Fastback 351-4V
1977 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 350-4V
1986 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Eagle Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
I got my new battery at autozone. It is a duralast and I believe it came with a two year full replacement warranty. It fit the battery tray perfect has 590 cold cranking amps. Cost was a little over a hundred bucks and was in a box new not covered in dust from sitting. Something you may want to consider is keeping a battery maintainer hooked to your battery when not in use. I have several that I keep my batteries hooked up to and your batteries will last many years longer. Cost around twenty bucks and you can find them at walmart and they work like a charm.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »
I also got a brand new type 56 (kinda longer rectangle battery) from Auto Parts Source. 

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Sears still sells one group 56 Battery. Plus Start  Automotive Battery - Group Size 56. Mine has a weak cell (Its only a little over a year old) and Sears told me they have to order on if I want to replace under warranty (1 year total replacement, 48 months prorated). Not sure I want to wait a week though...
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
I don't know if you have a CarQuest where you're at, but the East Penn Deka batteries have a good reputation. They're the house brand at CarQuest and should be available at some other places.

Here's a locator: http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=10
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »
I got a new one recently at Sears, hoping to get a Die Hard, they only had Plus Start ones. So I just went with that. Last week, my voltage regulator starting going out, so I had to take out the battery and battery tray out to get the alternator out, and I realized that one of the studs rusted off. So I called up Kennedy American and found out they only made the large battery trays, which will hold most standard Die Hard Gold and Platinum batteries.

So now I just have for this el cheapo Plus Start to die, so I can change the tray and put in a good battery with more than 500 amps, cause the Plus Start won't cinch in to the large tray.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
O'Reilly sells a 56
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
I went back to Sears for the plus Start 56 and they told me they couldn't get it. They had the group size 55 which is not compatible to the Eagle according to the Sears website but the stores computer shows its good for the car. The manager could not explain why there was a discrepancy between the store & online. plus it had less cranking than my Diehard. Another thing that doesn't make sense with Sears is, I called the online number and was told if I lived in the midwest or the western half of the country I could get the plus start 56 battery but because I live on the East coast I couldn't get it. They told me they had 2 companies that made the battery for them, but the company that supplied it for the east coast stopped production of it because the weather is too cold here for it.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will call them and see it I can get something shipped to me, otherwise as a last resort I couldl mount something in the truck & run a power line to the front of the car
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
I've been searching on and off all day...Interstate makes a group 56 also...590 CCA.  I just went through all of Optima's web site comparing the physical sizes with Group 56 and there's a few close but no cigar there either...
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
I wonder how much larger than battery tray is? Looking by eye it can't be to much wider. If it has the bump out like my old smaller tray, it looks like it would interfer with the turning blades of the alternator. I'm going to call Kennedy American on Monday and get the deminisions for it and take it from there.

Another thing I aslo learned about Sears is they discontiune everything after 7 years. In the past 2 weeks I had other incidents with them. I had a weed wacker which was still good except I needed the spool to hold the line and couldn't get it anywhere, even trying the local local garden shops and had to buy a new one. Also I had their cordless tools and need a new battery for it and they changed the style of the battery & its no good for my tools. The old style battery no longer exists anywhere.

I will never buy anything from Sears again other than there craftsman tools.
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
Im thinking Im going to get the interstate. It fits, its higher CCA than the Sears, and they have them at Firestone so can warranty it across the country.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline ANT85MAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
Thanks Recomer for mentioning Firestone, I had completely forgotten about them and they are located 10 minutes away from me.
I will pay them a visit tomorrow and pick one up.
1980 Eagle 2 door Sedan
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Nissan 370Z

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
as much as i hate to say it but you can still get a 56 at wal-mart for about $80 and a two year warranty.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:03:21 AM »
as much as i hate to say it but you can still get a 56 at wal-mart for about $80 and a two year warranty.

Yep...saw those too. And reviews are pretty good on them. The interstate at Firestone is 89.00 here...
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
I've had awful luck with Duralast. Had three of them in my three of my cars and they went dead or drained themselves after 2 years. I finally found luck with Napa and Interstate batteries. Don't listen to the consumer reports. They don't know what they are talking about. Get one with 'reserve' power; high number around 150.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
Thing to watch out for if you go to Wally World is the amount of time they sit on that rack.. I know a lot of batteries that go dead prematurely from there.. Watch that manufacture date..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
This website http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html shows just about every 6- and 12-volt automotive battery size ever used in North America. Then you can go to your favorite friendly local purveyor of parts and get a battery by it's group number instead of by the store's computer. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
This website http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html shows just about every 6- and 12-volt automotive battery size ever used in North America. Then you can go to your favorite friendly local purveyor of parts and get a battery by it's group number instead of by the store's computer. :eagle:

I found that site too. I copied it all to a spreadsheet and filtered it. The width is the issue, 6 1/16 inch. Only three batteries fit that, Group 54, 55 and our 56. Slightly smaller (5 13/16") is a Group 52 and slightly bigger (6 5/16") is a group 60.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
34/78ext is going to be the battery to use. Top post and common. Going to a yard and finding a pan  from a Cherokee.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
double post sorry.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:31:26 AM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Sears came through with my warranty replacement so I ended up with another plus start (its either a 55 or 56). Will install this evening. I contacted the local firestone and they couldnt promise they'd be able to get a interstate for me. The Sears under warranty replacement was $12.00 so Im not going to complain yet... I'd love to see pics should you get a cherokee tray in the eagle to fit a larger battery.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »
Cherokee pan won't work. My battery is good so I don't have to do the mod. for the 34/78 to fit I think I'll have to modify the radiator area a bit those batteries are big add if I measured right you only have like a 7"x11" area to use without modifying.. Grind the lip that is on the radiator/shroud. Use some rubber and pad the edge or weld it into a box. If someone has time to take a look when it's light would like to know if that part can even be ground I'm limited on my daylight hours.. Usually at work.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
I have the battery for my MJ (Comanche) in mine. Group 58. Switching it to Group 24 (have a brand new one)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:41:08 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

AMC lifer

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
On my dearly departed Eagle, I took the battery tray, make cuts in the corners & flattened out one of the long sides of the tray. It was able to hold a bigger battery (800 - 1000 CCA) It did fit between the fender & the AC line. You could probably rig up a strap to hold it against the fender & away from the AC line. I ran it for several years like that with no problems. I have used several brands of batteries over the years, Delco, Interstate, & AmeriStart. the latter is less expensive than Interstate & has more oomph.  It also lasts 6 years.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 01:47:56 AM »
I know this is "holy batman" old.  But this is good information!  Thanks to everyone contributing to this post.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
When I was at the salvage yard getting my 4.0, I looked up a table of battery sizes on my phone, found a few group numbers that had the same depth and width, and asked for any one of those. Dont remember what group size they gave me, but its worked perfect ever since.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk