News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38809 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
The area around radiator was cut to fit this rad. Don't know what rad is from but is a 3 row.  It'll get it tested and hopefully reused.  Lower cooling line used a labatz beer can for a belt protector.  Preformed hoses will replace these cruddy things.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:39:12 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
Sweet.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
Painted front end semi gloss black and cleaned out and set coolers.  New hardware for reassembly.  Cleaned out overflow reservoir buy using peastone and water. Clean as new.  Set grill to check clearance. Clean up wire harness and add back the high beams.  Might add a second horn since its wired for it.  Picture of radiator.  Sides modified and much wider than stock AMC.  The silver paint is Ford Silver Birch. Matches pretty good.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:01:06 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
Finished making custom rear brake lines due to disk brakes. Then I cleaned out radiator, then primed and painted. The 2x 12" electric cooling fans that were set in place, barely, need to have mounts made to fasten to radiator mounting points.  I will control the fans via a coolant temp sensor.  Also started to rewire front headlight harness with all new wires and connectors. Many splices being removed, pictures when I'm done fabbing the harness.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:23:09 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
Hello,

You have found a great piece of history, priceless !!  Found the link to the SX4 at Nurburgring ... 1979.
Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRzTqwuDTU    

Enjoy,  Iron Horse

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
Good to see that.  1979!  I remember that year.  ugh.

Yes, I believe this car is priceless and I am keep it as original as I can.  However, due to age, there were issues with electrical and fuel that really needed attending to so it would not have any shorts/leaks and destroy it.  I am almost done with the fuel system and have started the electrical rewiring.  When finished it will be very close to original but with the necessary upgrades.  The suspension is done, just need to jack up the coilovers to get it in a good front suspension range.  Can't wait to put it through it paces in northern lower MI this spring.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
The Nurburgring cars were AMC Spirits. 2wd sister car to the Eagle SX 4
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
No doubt they were Spirits given the year.  But good to see none the less. :occasion14:

Made cooling fan shroud mounting brackets.  Just need to add nutserts to shroud for brackets to attach to.  The other end of the brackets will mount to the same points as the modified radiator.  They used 3/8 bolts.  So I installed longer 3/8 bolts and welded them in to be studs for easy installation/maintenance/removal of cooling stack.  I replaced the power steering lines with new and plumbed the transmission cooler with correct hose (5/16).  There was 3/8 hose clamped to 5/16 tubing which leaked even though they were double clamped.  Next up is the oil cooler lines.  Once I get the front harness complete and the oil cooler lines in, I can set the cooling stack and connect the hoses.  Then set the headlight cans, grille and pencil lights.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 06:09:20 PM »
Drained engine oil and removed hose for remote filter. Also discarded filter.  Takes about 2 gallons of oil.  Replaced power steering lines and relocated the ps cooler.  Then set cooling stack and hoses. The lower hose has to be custom. The upper is a for a Javelin.  I thought the lower would be as well but out on radiator is pointing up instead of back..   Started the light relay panel rebuild.  Waiting on fuel stuff to finish that, the oil hose to finish that and electrical wrap to finish front harness. Fun!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
Did some odds and ends on the fuel system and removed old electrical wire from rear end.  Cranked up the coil overs and inch or so to see the rake.  The half shaft looks fine so I'll crank it up some more to decrease the rake.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Lookin good, when you're finished are you going to show the car anywhere or just keep as a fun toy?

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
looks like the power steering belt doesn't line up to well

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
It will be driven, mostly in north lower Michigan and a  trip to Colorado.

Correct, the ps belt is off a bit and probably for many years.  I adjusted the alternator alignment so next is ps.  The bracket is quite the contraption so it looks like fun.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:30:21 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
Still waiting on parts. So I wrapped front harness and secured it. The set drivers headlight, buckets, and trim.  So many screws!  Halogen drive lights and they have halo leds. Add8ng pencil lights in middle on bumper as before.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 08:51:50 PM »
Installed oil cooler lines and secured them. Filled engine with oil. That allowed me finish the passenger headlight bucket and grill.  Fuel system parts came in so that's next.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk