The Shop > Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

strut rod bushings

(1/1)

amcfool1:
hi, has anybody used  urethane strut rod bushings? I'm told its not a good idea. any pros/cons?  thanks,  gz

Taylor:
Kennedy American does have them, as to what will give a better ride or last longer I have know idea.

AMC of Houston:
Other than the harshness when you hit bumps, you'll be replacing them every few years due to deterioration (crumbling to little chunks).   Better to go with those nice Moog K-3090 versions with the extra internal metal sleeve to keep them centered in the hole.   Watch out for the same part number on non-improved-design bushings.

djm3452004:

--- Quote from: AMC of Houston on October 06, 2023, 02:14:16 PM ---Other than the harshness when you hit bumps, you'll be replacing them every few years due to deterioration (crumbling to little chunks).   Better to go with those nice Moog K-3090 versions with the extra internal metal sleeve to keep them centered in the hole.   Watch out for the same part number on non-improved-design bushings.

--- End quote ---

"crumbling into little chunks" -- based on what experience?  What brands & P/Ns should we avoid?  I've had the Prothane 6-1205-BL set of strut rod bushings on my '83 since 2018 with no issues whatsoever. 

I suspect it's like a lot of other things; if one sources Chinese urethane stuff, one can never be sure what they dump in the melting pot before molding them.  Prothane bushings are all US-made.  I used Prothane bushings for every location I could on my Eagle after a great experience with them on an '86 turbo Dodge Omni GLHS.  Since they held up to that abuse, they can surely hold up to the more-pedestrian Eagle.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version