The Shop > Suspension, Steering, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

Lowering an Eagle

(1/1)

zeebo76:
For the record, I’m not looking to slam an Eagle to the ground, I’m just after a more conventional passenger car stance from the period. Just low enough that someone wouldn’t say “yeah I kinda figured” when you tell them it’s 4x4. I have a special project coming up that I’m looking to lower in this way.

So, What are the possibilities in regards to lowering an Eagle by 1-1.5”?  I’ve done some poking around on my Wagon (which will remain stock height), and it seems that lowering springs and a trimmed bump stop would do the trick.

Taylor:
My quick thought would be shorter front springs. Definitely do not cut springs. It will ruin the ride quality. Not sure if a compatible spring rate could be found. Not sure if Concorde or Hornet spring would work.
As for the rear, maybe remove a leaf? Replace with springs from a Hornet or Concorde?
I am sure someone with far more knowledge will chime in.

zeebo76:

--- Quote from: Taylor on July 16, 2023, 11:42:32 AM ---My quick thought would be shorter front springs. Definitely do not cut springs. It will ruin the ride quality. Not sure if a compatible spring rate could be found. Not sure if Concorde or Hornet spring would work.
As for the rear, maybe remove a leaf? Replace with springs from a Hornet or Concorde?
I am sure someone with far more knowledge will chime in.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, shorter front springs were my safest guess too. Depending on how low I go (max of 2” lower) I’d be looking into a shorter shock absorber as well. I do wonder how this would affect the CV axles - if they’re short enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version