News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XJ tank adapting  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
XJ tank adapting
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
I'm almost done with my XJ gas tank, got it all blasted out except for a bit I can't reach (vinegar soak for a week will fix that).

Anyways, I was going to cut into my old Eagle tank to use it's filler when it occurred to me...does the Eagle have anything in it's neck attached to the tank and couldn't be substituted by a piece of pipe welded on instead? I don't recall there being a baffle, screen or anything inside of it.

I'd like to keep the stock Eagle tank and sandblast/repair the ever loving :censored: out of it.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: XJ tank adapting
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:03:38 AM »
On the Eagle tank, there is just a hole with a rubber grommet, if I recall.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  No screen like in some modern vehicles

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »
I cut that chunk off one to graft onto an XJ tank. Got sick before I got to it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Well, I figure I might just get a piece of pipe the proper diameter (a bit larger than the upper portion of the filler tube which comes off), use a hole cutter and snip a hole into the tank on the rear top, weld in the new pipe and call it a day.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Are you working on an SX/4?  The wagon tanks are available new.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
Wagon. I can get a new tank for that but cutting a hole and tacking in a pipe is cheaper and easier.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:01:27 PM by Nightpath »

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »
Not for those of us poor souls that don't have a welder  :-[.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »
Neither do I but there's a few places near I can use lol

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
I wasn't going to weld mine. Just cut a hole in the XJ tank where the Eagle pipe would go in and pop rivet the Eagle tank piece in place with gas proof sealer between the added part and tank.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:09:54 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »
Any idea on the size of the pipe that comes out of the tank? I'm working on it all this week so I can get it going properly instead of the ghetto mashup I have going on.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Pipe diameter is what I'm looking for

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
I have my caliper with me and I'll try to remember to measure the tank inlet on the spare XJ tank when I go to my cabin later today.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
I went out to take a look at mine, pulled the Eagle tank and compared. Tried to fit the XJ tank, that thing hangs down 1/2 down the rear diff, the :censored: spare tire hump that hangs down really takes a deuce on the idea., almost to the point that it might be dangerous to install.

The interesting thing is that the rubber grommet in the Eagle tank can be removed. I'm going to measure the hole, cut into the XJ tank and might just use that anyway, make a skid for it out of 1/8" diamond plate maybe.

Edit : I went out to take a look, the spare tire hump towards the rear of the car, for probably 5-6", hits the tank and causes it to drop 3-4" down. My idea is to beat it with a hammer to make room for the tank (don't hold a spare tire in that area anyways). If I knew how to weld I'd just cut the thing out and weld metal across the hole in place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:44:55 PM by Nightpath »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Either bang it up or dent the tank (we used a sheet of plywood with a floor jack under it) It was pretty easy because it was a newer poly tank.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:56:54 PM by carnuck »

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
I figure I'll hammer the spare wheel well up, so if something ever happens in the future I can get a new tank, plug it in and go.

Do you know if the stock Eagle straps will work with the XJ tank?

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:35:14 PM »
OK, I hammered the wheel well for the spare a bit, found out that it had fiberglass over it covering a bit of rot (just going to fiberglass it again until I can get a body guy in there to just cut the thing out and put a flat piece there anyways).

The XJ tank will hang about 3" lower than the stock Eagle tank. I bought new bolts to make new hangers to accommodate the XJ tank which should reach the Eagle straps. After I install it I'm going to piece together a skidplate to protect it, the stock plastic Eagle skid was put on with some fairly decent bolts so I'm going to reuse those holes, surround most of the tank and bolt it to the floor of the rear hatch area for support.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »
Sorry. Missed the earlier part, but yes, either longer bolts with the XJ tank and Eagle straps or maybe XJ straps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk