News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 01:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gas tank  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Gas tank
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:35:50 AM »
I'm taking a look at replacng my tank in the Eagle. I want to slide in a stock xj sending unit, or something, that'll actually work with the odb1 stuff.

I was told that the gauge has to match the sender but I'm not sure if that's true since I've never looked into it.

What are you guys using for replacement tanks? I think the fatter xj tank would hit my rear 8.25 axle.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Gas tank
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
The sender has to put out the same resistance that the gauge is looking for. The gauge has no way to know what sender is in there as long as the resistance for empty and full is the same or close.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
That's what I thought.

I wonder if Jeeps use all the same resistances for their gauges.

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
If it's an AMC Jeep maybe the same as the Eagle, but the Jeeps after Chrysler took over use a different resistance. That's why my MJ only registers the last half of the tank. And the Chrysler ones use a reverse polarity.
Click for Buies_Creek, NC Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
1995 Cherokee (XJ) was the donator. All wiring, etc.

Just need a tank that fits the Eagle but I can toss in a Jeep sender.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
Last I checked you can still get tanks for the wagons, not SX4's though

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
The XJ tank should fit the Eagle wagon without hitting the diff? We test fit one from an '87 XJ into the parts wagon.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
I'm running a 8.25 axle under it now, quite a bit larger than the stock Dana 35.

If anyone can confirm using an XJ tank I'd appreciate it. Either way, the tank I get will have to be modified to fit the Eagle and XJ stuff I need.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
I have a friend who has a good XJ tank he said I could have. If I could dig up a sender for it I'd be ub3r happy since it's free (the best price of all) then I could remove mine and do a test fit.

Need straps though, I imagine they'd have to be a custom fab unless XJ straps also fit.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
They changed the resistance of the sender late '87. Not sure if Eagles got it too, but I vaguely recall an '88 with low fuel light.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »
Same year Jeep started using Renix was 87 so that makes sense. I'm wondering if the Renix sending unit is the same as the obd1 sending unit.

If Nova Scotia wasn't under 5 feet of snow (lliterally, not figuratively) I'd be hitting up the junk yards checking it out.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »
OK, I need to :censored: or get off the pot. I think with the XJ tank it hangs really low, and that was my issue (was the tank off of a 1994 XJ).

I need to know if anyone has actually done the tank swap, or have taken the hole from the XJ tank and installed it onto an Eagle tank and installed a XJ sender.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
It has been done
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Cherokee_gas_tank_retrofit

There is no mention of what straps were used, but shaggimo did mention that it hangs down a little lower.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »
Huzzah! I KNEW this was done, but I couldn't remember where I saw it. I have a line on a gas tank with sender..would be such an easy jobby job.

SHAGGIMO WHERE IS YOU?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk