News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: need some advice!  (Read 3976 times)

Offline microgeeg

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
need some advice!
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
So, I found a wagon for cheap, needs lots of work. after cleaning it out and taking a look at whats hiding underneath, Im finding lots of rust, dents, scratches, things are broken or missing… lots of things to do before she'll ride again, and I'm thinking it might be a bit too much for me and my skill set and the space and time  and money I have available. I estimate at least $7000 just to get her close to where I want her. and thats me doing it mostly myself.
  there are some other wagons not far from here that are in good running condition, have all or most of their parts.
 I'm feeling it might be better to either strip and part out the one I have and just start over with one of the better condition ones.
I'm not skilled at metal fabrication, I can do body work and take part and assemble things.
I dunno, what do you guys think? I'm sure some of you guys would take it on, as I've seen you do, nice work! but some of that is beyond my skills.
any help is appreciated!
thanks!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I cannot believe 7k. I stripped, painted and did most everything to my sedan including build a stroker for much less.

Manitowoc WI

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Since you can generally get a good wagon for $2K or less, I can't see trying to restore your wagon that needs a lot of work.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:11 PM »
If you get it cheap as a parts car then snag it for that and then keep a look out for a wagon in better shape.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
I'm with Iowa get it if its cheap enough and part it out for yourself or sell off what you can to finance something more to your liking
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
I hate to see one parted out unless there is no way it can be saved, I

Mine was a rolling pile of rust, dirt and leaking fluids when I got it, I have redone most everything over  time and do not have anywhere near 7k in it.

Do you have more details on what needs fixing, and pics?

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline microgeeg

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Thanks for your responses, So just to be clear, I did buy it, it's in my garage in pieces as I examine her. I haven't gone to see the others for sale yet.
Here's my estimate of what she needs…
   engine flush   45- 120,  transmission clean/ rebuild  100?,  radiator flush/ replace? 45- 120, new hoses 75- 150
   new filters  150, new gaskets  100- 200,  new battery   125,  new tires  125-250,  new carpet  100- 200
   new grill     150,  repair dents/ body work   ?/150+,  repaint  800,  new windshield  200,  new door and window gasket   175
   new headlights and bezels    50- 100,  new taillights and bezels   50 -100,  new muffler   100- 200,  new springs/shocks 500 - 700
   new knobs and switches   100- 250,  new rear door hinges  40,  new locks  100,  new radio bezel   20
   new stereo/speakers/   450,  I'd also like new wheels so another 200 the next bit is things I'm not sure I need but feel I probably will.
        ? new engine  1000,   ? new fuel tank  150,   ? new fuel line  175, ? new control arm  100-300,  ? new sway bar   150,  ? new brakes  125-250
       there is rust growing thru the R front fender, the cross part of the frame that attaches to the front bumper and the sway bar is pretty bad with rust, the battery shelf is gone(not that uncommon) the trunk was flooded with water and oil and who knows what, so the truck shelf is wasted the actual trunk is not so bad.
some one removed the lock for the rear hatch so water and things got in thru there. so the trunk door corners are rusting. the original mirrors were replaced with other ones in a new position but the holes were not covered …
the driver door is bent out of shape from the mirror being backed into something. the rear pass. door is bent out at the corner . I might could shape it back into position.
being open to the elements: the seats and carpet are in bad shape, I might be able to salvage the seats, but they are cracked in spots, headliner is gone but the pad seems ok, haven't pulled it out yet to see whats under. the knobs and switches the vents and the dash shelf  also the turn signal lever are gone. the grill is all but gone, th hood has the hinge bend and windshield has two spider cracks, I was sitting for 12 years in a open barn.
everything in the engine and drive train seem to be there but all the rubber parts need replacing, the muffler was sheared off in the middle of the car…

On a plus note, the frame in straight, the black trim pieces are mostly intact, the remaining interior panels and dash look to be in good shape.   
enough crying… I knew it would be some work, but I feel like it would be better to cut my losses  and try one in better shape.   
let me know if I'm way of on theses estimates, this was just based on some quick searching around. and doesn't cover any unknowns yet.

phew!!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
...and you're doing this to a wagon? They are pretty common on craigslist and ebay, I don't think I'd ever put that much work into one. Frankly, a lot of your prices do seem either way high or way low, but it also depends how you are at bargain shopping and how perfect you want to make things. If you're planning on going this far and don't mind straying slightly from original, a properly fuel injected Jeep 4.0 engine will swap relatively easily and be much more reliable, safe, fuel efficient, powerful, and headache free. You can get most of the parts for under $1000 at a junkyard, or just get a parts cherokee for cheap.

I can easily see $5000+ in parts/fluids/products, especially if you're being thorough. If planned out correctly and done yourself, $10,000 will yield a very nice, modernized Eagle.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »
Too much going on there.  yeah, prices are all over the place. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk