News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 12:00:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.0 cam swap  (Read 4653 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
4.0 cam swap
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
Can I leave the engine in the car for this? I've never touched a camshaft in my life, so I feel as though it's going to be a big undertaking, but I feel it'll be worth it.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
Re: 4.0 cam swap
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
im not thinking so. if it could be done, youd have to remove the rad, grille and maybe bumper to slide it out from behind the timing cover, after you have removed the harmonic balancer. then youll have to remove all the rocker arms, or at least loosen them so that all the pressure is off the cam. then rotate the cam to push all the lifters up in their bores, and slide the cam out. but you also need to replace the lifters cause they wont last long on cam number 2. and obviously dont forget to block off the fuel pump hole on the block cause you wont need it anymore, assuming youre putting a 4.0 cam into a 4.2

oh, and the lifters cant be removed through the head, you have to pull the head to get them out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:40:28 PM by amcinstaller »
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
Pulling the head off isn't the issue, I just can't pull the engine out.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
kajsdf asked the same question in this thread, mudkicker responded by asking if he was any good at cutting and welding:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=37161.0;all
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
yea, i figured there would be somethin else in the way aside form what i mentioned. i was skeptical of the idea even while typing
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »
I've looked at it a little bit because I'm considering the same thing, and it looks like it MIGHT work, but I'd certainly rely on somebody who has some actual experience with it.  I found a website where they changed the camshaft on a 258 in a jeep without pulling the engine or the head, they used a dowel in the oiler hole but had to pull the lifters up somehow while they put the dowel in.  I'll have to see if I can find the website.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
ok, the link with mudkicker talking about cutting/welding just popped up. i understand hes talking about cutting/welding the exhaust manifold for the exhaust on a 4.0 head swap... cam should be fine with rad and grill pull correct??

That could be what he was talking about.  The way I've eye-balled it, things should work by pulling the grill and the radiator, and with the head pulled it should go pretty easily.  Of course then you still have to make the exhaust work  :o
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »
It'd be close, I did it in a ZJ Grand Cherokee with a 4.6L (too much cam for the application), and that was HARD.  I'd ONLY rely on someone that has actually done it, not someone who has looked at it a bunch... I might try it IF my stroker goes in and has a cam failure on break in, while knowing that if it doesn't work the mill will need to come out.  That is a really long cam(needs to come straight out the from and it is basically the length of the engine from the front face of the block that it needs to come out), it is offset to the right a bit, and the engine does set at a slight angle, so it might be possible...

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
Hey VAN, that was NOT directed at "... the way I've eyeballed it..."  I was typing that as a general comment at the same time you were typing yours... It was directed at my own Eye-balling it and looking at it ALOT as much or more than at anyone else'...
Doc

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
No worries Doc!  My eyesight's not that good anymore so I'll take advice anywhere I can get it.  And I hope no is plowing full speed ahead based on my advice on this topic  :rotfl:
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Was really just talking about the center (idk) radiator brace. otherwise pull it all and cut it off to weld it on later. exaust heck thats all funvand games till you get wed flashed in the eye.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk