News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: While I'm at it  (Read 2859 times)

Offline mooseman1616

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
While I'm at it
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
So the eagle needs a new front driver side wheel bearing, which lens to the old conundrum of "while you're at it."

So I'm think new upper and lower ball joints,  new coil springs, small coil spring spacer(1"). And then repeat on the passenger side. Any other things you guys would look at while things are apart? Links are helpful if you bought specific parts that worked for you guys. I know javelin coils will give a 1" lift, but does it need to be a specific year? Etc? Wanting to be at a 2" lift when all said and done. Thanks

Side note, couldn't remove half shafts as the 6 bolts holding it in are rusted as all get out. No problem really as I don't NEED to pull the half shaft out but u would love to replace all 6 bolts, but can't cause the heads all strip out. Any advice on getting them out? Thanks

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: While I'm at it
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Torch them as them are held on with loktite. If you stripped them omg you are going to hurt. Its a 3/8"hex if i remember correctly.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mooseman1616

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
I guess it'll be a good time to try out the new heat induction tool... Wish I would have researched a little before hitting it with the impact.. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline mooseman1616

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »
So I've been doing all the reading I can from you guys, and still feel a little lost. Two inch lift in the front is what I want. Just go with the Moog 3156 coil springs to achieve this? Or does that only give part of the lift and also needs a spacer? Amazon has the springs pretty cheap and I have a few gift cards laying around that I want to use up, just need to know about the spacer. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-3156-Coil-Spring-Set/dp/B000C59U2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519664545&sr=8-1&keywords=moog+3156

https://www.mcbayperformance.com/3_2_OR_1_FRONT_COIL_SPRING_SPACER_LIFT_KIT_p/1500_series.htm

This is what I'm looking at right now. Thanks.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
I recently lifted my 1988 wagon, and posted some details in another thread:  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43082.msg357632#msg357632  That thread has a lot of info from lots of folks that you may find helpful.  Bottom line, you won't need spacers if you get the right springs.

I put some pictures in my build thread of the process and before/after:  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

For the bolts on the half shafts, try soaking with PB Blaster, try heat, and try using a pipe wrench as the bolts are round on the outside. 

While you have the springs out, you may want to check the condition of your control arm bushings.  I did a whole lot of work on my Eagle but skipped the control arm bushings - then they tore apart after some very heavy trail miles.  I had to take the springs back out and fix the control arm bushings. I think the springs are actually easier to take out if you commit to  removing the upper control arms.  But of course you said it best with "While I'm at it" because if you don't stop yourself you can get in pretty deep.  Ask me how I know, hah!

Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline mooseman1616

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
I appreciate all the responses. Just the info I was looking for. I spoke with one of my buddies who is my mechanical expert, and does all my work for free. He wants to just replace the bearings and ball joints for now, drive it for a little to see if any more important(read expensive) repairs pop up before I dump a lot on lifting. He says if I still have it running this summer he'll do the front and back at the same time so it's all finished, also giving me some time to source parts and start setting them aside. So hopefully by next week he'll be done pressing in the new bearings and get this front end put back together so I can spend some time on the road getting to know the ole' girl a little better.

Offline mooseman1616

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
Any help would be appreciated. I have everything put back together sans the brakes. I am having a hard time finding where my last bolt goes. There are two bolts to tie the assembly all together. The one goes in the back of the steering arm(metal rod that travels underneath the halfshaft) and into the hub assembly, but I can't find where the other one goes. Just so there's no confusion as to what I'm asking, it's not the Etorx bolts on the caliper hanger. I know it's so super easy and is probably staring me in the face....easy stuff is always the hardest for me. Anyway, thanks.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
Any pictures would really help. Or you might want to check out a parts diagram for the front end and see if anything looks familiar.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk