News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re dying door panels  (Read 2635 times)

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re dying door panels
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
I figured I would share. I had took brown door panels from an sx4 and made them work for my amx. Using sem surface prep and their black vinyl dye it had come out very nice. The stuff eats into the original panel to the point you can not scratch it off. Instead of leaving the wood grain I went with orange pinstripe to complement the orange on the outside of the car. I have since used the sem dye on a number of parts for my cuda, each time working out great

I hate the 79 amx door panels with there pouch and two chrome strips that go to the top edge of the door, I think this style looks better

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Re dying door panels
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »
Those look great!  They were brown when you started??  Wow. What did you use to do the orange stripes?
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline racerkilla

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
One was a dark brown other a lighter tan. The dye stuck to the vinyl carpet and woodgrain with no issue. The orange is just a 1/4 inch pinstripe tape. I put it on few hours after dye.  Stuck right into and will not lift. Door panels would get a bit sticky first week in the sun until it had fully cured

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
Nice work! Those look great!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk