News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trouble with cold start  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Trouble with cold start
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
Hello all,

I want to run my issue by the members here to see if anyone has experienced this or has a direction for me.  I have a mostly original 1984 i-6 manual trans eagle that has trouble starting when a: the car is cold, and b: especially if its cold outside.  I bought the car last fall, did all new belts, fluids, spark plugs, wires, coil and tfi upgrade and I drive it almost everyday.  It took a little extra trying last winter to start, but this year once its gotten colder it has become a problem.  All vacuum lines are original as is the carter carb.  Normally, or once i get the car to fire, it runs like a dream.  No sputtering or stalling, great gas milage (23-25), never runs hot, and once it starts from a cold start it fires back up instantly without a problem until it sits for at least 12 hours.  The choke does seem to operate normally.  It seems to have plenty of fuel when its trying to start (I can smell it eventually). It sputters and tries and tries, then eventually it'll sputter enough that I can modulate the throttle to get it fully started.  Then all is great.  If I drive the car every day the problem is less.  If it sits a few days then the problem is worse. Its only the cold start!?  Only other thing I'd note is that sometimes it will diesel when turned off to which I kill it immediately with the clutch.

All input is greatly appreciated.
Zac

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Trouble with cold start
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
hi do a timing check, then, make sure your choke is set correctly. Sounds like your choke is slammed shut.good luck, gz

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Since your car is still stock, try setting all the carb adjustments and timing per the AMC IS-12e Service Letter.   PM me your email, and I'll send you a scan of it.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:31:20 PM »
PM sent. Thanks for the replys. I verified the carb wasn't slammed shut and gave it a little try today but no avail to starting. Tomorrow I'm putting on a new starter solenoid, then I have an extra coil to try if that doesn't fix it.  I feel it's got to be spark/maybe timing.

Any supporters of doing the "ECM Test" bypass on my stock and, other than this starting issue, a great running car?

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »
I changed the starter solenoid today but it didn't help anything.  Then I put a new coil in and it fired right up. When I did the tfi upgrade last fall I installed the pertronix coil. I just now installed an accel coil. Time will tell if this has been the issue all along.

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »
So the car seems to have gone back to how it used to be last year with a very predictable cold start where it takes 4-5 tries then fires.  On the very first try it almost fires but then dies.  The next 2-3 tries are basically nothing but then on the 4-5th it fires up....any thoughts?

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
hi, your carb is probably draining fuel as it sits overnight, couple days, etc. This is not unusual with older cars, not good, but not unusual. May need to throw a rebuild kit in it. Takes a bit of cranking to refill fuel bowl. good luck, gz

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
Couldn't he just install an anti drain back valve (one way) after the fuel filter?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »
As I mentioned before the car starts much easier when it's warm outside. Only when it's cold does it take several tries. Do you still think it's fuel related?

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
Any updates? I'm having the same issue.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk