News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Window Channels and Rear Hatch Noise Solutions  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Window Channels and Rear Hatch Noise Solutions
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
Hello All,

Couple of questions.  I have all kinds of squeaks and noises coming form my rear hatch on a 81 SX4.  I wasn't sure what it was until the other day when I put a big cardboard box in the rear.  It  was a bit too big and had a really tight fit against the glass when I closed the hatch.  Suddenly there was no more squeaks on my ride home.  So My guess is the hatch is a bit loose.  I'm sure it could use a new rear hatch seal, but I'm also wondering if it could be my hatch release.  It's not hooked up.  If that thing is working, does it cause the hatch to have a better fit against the body, reducing vibrations?

Question 2: Where can i find window channel seals.  I've asked around and no one seems to carry them anymore for the eagles.

Thanks!
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Window Channels and Rear Hatch Noise Solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »
hi both APD and Blasers have window channel seals, gz

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:14:14 AM »
For the seals, try AMCrambler.com.  Email them and ask for Eagle channels.  I've bought them there before but they may not be listed.

The electric release won't cause it to latch poorly.  There should be a rubber bumper on each side of the hatch.  You can remove the chrome plate over the bottom part of the latch and, using a wrench, loosen and move the striker down a hair.  See if that tightens it up.  Some grease on that striker probably couldn't hurt.  Also put a smidge of grease on the rear seat latches.  Those squeaked like crazy in my SX/4.  They have bumpers as well that can be snugged up against the seat back.

Hope that helps.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Thanks!  This is great info.  I'm missing the driver side rubber stopper. I rigged a spacer up and it has helped quite a bit with all the rattling. 
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk