News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wiring-harness - Mitsubishi radio model number (89)56000746 or (89)36000556  (Read 6637 times)

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Attachment shows Mitsubishi/AMC automotive radio model number (89)56000746 or (89)36000556. The radio was used in AMC, Jeep, Ford, and Mitsubishi manufactured in the 1980’s… The most common model number was Mitsubishi 895600746. I am installing this radio in a 1987 Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer-XJ… Which its connector/harness is not compatible with the radio-connector(s) shown in the attached. I am looking for a cable(s)/harness(s) to connect the two together.

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
I just went to Terminal Supply Co. and got connectors and pins for about $20 and changed the radio connector.
I have enough pins left over to do another one .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
I fear I may have to do the same...

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
I have found that what I believe is your radio, came with the newer style connector than what you have. I know Amc used the new style connector in the 86 model year as I have two of the radios pictured out of 86 grand wagoneers. One I have in a 87 Comanche, and the other has mouse pee damage. The older design was used in at least the late 84 early 85 model year as that was the connector that my eagle originally came with. Somewhere in maybe the. 87 or 88 model year AMC/jeep/Chrysler changed the connector yet again with a new set of radios that was introduced. I also learned the hardway that if you need to put the newer 86 and up connector on a older radio, to make sure that you have it wired correctlly to how the factory did it later on. I can lookat the spare radio I have , and get you the wires that they combined if liked. Before I had a radio that came from the factory that way, I had one that I believe was a earlier version that had the later ends tapped to it. in the process I tried to figure out how to wire it to the later connector as it did not sound like it was wired right, I managed to release the "magic smoke" from that unit. Later with a newer radio, I found out how the radio was adapted for the later connector. If I ever manage to learn enough about electronics, I plan on trying to fix that unit again. By the way, looking at the dash picture, it looks like your xj may be optioned out fairly well, I'd like to see more of it if it is ok to do so on this forum. I have an 87 Comanche chief which managed to do what the xj did to the eagle's sales in 1984 twenty some years later.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Received and pondering... Thanks!   :read2:

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
I have found that what I believe is your radio, came with the newer style connector than what you have. I know Amc used the new style connector in the 86 model year as I have two of the radios pictured out of 86 grand wagoneers. One I have in a 87 Comanche, and the other has mouse pee damage. The older design was used in at least the late 84 early 85 model year as that was the connector that my eagle originally came with. Somewhere in maybe the. 87 or 88 model year AMC/jeep/Chrysler changed the connector yet again with a new set of radios that was introduced. I also learned the hardway that if you need to put the newer 86 and up connector on a older radio, to make sure that you have it wired correctlly to how the factory did it later on. I can lookat the spare radio I have , and get you the wires that they combined if liked. Before I had a radio that came from the factory that way, I had one that I believe was a earlier version that had the later ends tapped to it. in the process I tried to figure out how to wire it to the later connector as it did not sound like it was wired right, I managed to release the "magic smoke" from that unit. Later with a newer radio, I found out how the radio was adapted for the later connector. If I ever manage to learn enough about electronics, I plan on trying to fix that unit again. By the way, looking at the dash picture, it looks like your xj may be optioned out fairly well, I'd like to see more of it if it is ok to do so on this forum. I have an 87 Comanche chief which managed to do what the xj did to the eagle's sales in 1984 twenty some years later.

You are observant...  I do have the, so-called, rare Sentry-system.  At this point...  I plan on cutting-off the radio harness and rewiring appropriately, unless I find the complement connector. 

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Are you in a big hurry?  I might have some of those connectors, or might be able to find some on one of my trips to the junkyard....
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Are you in a big hurry?  I might have some of those connectors, or might be able to find some on one of my trips to the junkyard....

No hurry... While you check.  I've got plenty to keep me busy! 

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
I found that I have one of the 746 radios, and when I pulled it out of (probably) a jeep, I cut the wiring harness on the vehicle side of the connectors.  In other words, I have the connectors that mate up to the ones on your radio. 
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
I found that I have one of the 746 radios, and when I pulled it out of (probably) a jeep, I cut the wiring harness on the vehicle side of the connectors.  In other words, I have the connectors that mate up to the ones on your radio.

This is so kind of you to go to the trouble... Thanks! 

Offline CCinPA

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Wiring-harness - Mitsubishi radio model number (89)56000746 or (89)36000556
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
A big "thanks" to vangremlin for the connectors...  Never thought I would find them!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Wiring-harness - Mitsubishi radio model number (89)56000746 or (89)36000556
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
A big "thanks" to vangremlin for the connectors...  Never thought I would find them!

;)
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MortenB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
I installed a jeep radio in my Eagle, but I can't seem to figure out why there are 4 (+) wires going to the stereo:  batt, acc, dash lights, park lights.  Why park lights??
1983 Eagle SX/4, 6cyl 5 speed
1970 Camaro (undergoing restoration)
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1992 Chevrolet Blazer EV conversion; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver
1996 VW Golf Citistromer; 100% ELECTRIC car, daily driver

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Irony understand why it is that way electrically but when power is supplied to the park lightwire, the vacuum fluorescent display will dim then according to the voltage being sent on the instrument panel wire. If the wire it will blank out completely. If you don't hook up the park lightwire, the display stays lit at full intensity while the buttons and whatever else is illuminated by the instrument panel light feed. I don't have the park light wire hooked up on the older Amc radio as it is hard to read the display in daylight as it is, and harder with it dimmed with headlights on during the day/dusk hours
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
CRUTCHFIELD HAS THE DIRECT PLUG IN'S!!!!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk