News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:44:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smaller Power Brake Booster  (Read 1002 times)

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Smaller Power Brake Booster
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
Hello - My son and I are detailing the engine bay of his 1986 Eagle.  We just pulled the master cylinder and power brake booster out to clean and paint the firewall and the booster itself.  It was a real chore to remove the booster; due to interference from the inner fender, I literally had to use a pry bar to remove it.  There's no way we're going to clean and paint the booster, firewall and inner fender and be able to reinstall it without scratching all of the paint off.  Does anyone know of a smaller booster that would fit in an '86 Eagle?
Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Smaller Power Brake Booster
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
Which '86 Eagle?
I've changed the booster on my '86 wagon, and it was a pain, but not like you describe.

I don't think changing for a smaller booster is a good idea. I'd assume that it may mean less booster power, or fewer brake uses if the engine fails, or both.

Is it possible that someone stuffed a larger booster in there to try and give it better braking?

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 09:49:11 PM »
Thanks, Canoe.  It's a 1986 Eagle Limited with the 4.2 L engine and automatic transmission, soon to be 4.0 L stroker.  I don't know if this is the stock booster or not.  The engine is out of the car, so we had lots of room to work, except where the lower left section of the booster was hitting the inner fender.  I don't believe there's a direct correlation between booster diameter and the force the booster creates.  If I can't find a suitable smaller booster, I'll probably massage that section of the inner fender in by about 1/4".
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:05:36 AM »
I've got the Wagon. As an '86, yours would be a Wagon or a Sedan.

Strange. I switched my booster with the engine, manifolds and carb still in place. It was a pain, but it did fit.
I wonder if they switched in a different part due to a shortage on the production line that day/week/etc..

If your engine fails, that booster is the reservoir for power braking. I'm not liking the sounds of reducing that.

Offline OverKnight

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:41:22 AM »
My son's car is also a wagon.  If the engine dies, there's enough vacuum in the booster for maybe two stabs of the brake pedal.  I don't know enough about these to make authoritative statements, but I have read about instances, I believe with hot rods, where a smaller booster was installed, with no reported decrease in braking power.
- Stephen Grellet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk