News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:51:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron Duke problem  (Read 6234 times)

Offline GreatcarSX4

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Iron Duke problem
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
Ok 
Here is a situation that someone may have an answer to.  I have been having an ongoing issue with my 81 SX4 running. Seems like carburation.  Idles fine, needs fanned on a pull. Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, rubber fuel hosez,cleaned and rebuilt carb. I tried another carb.  Ran great for a day and now gone again.  Any ideas?  Computer? 
1981 Eagle SX4 4 cyl. automatic White
1982 Eagle SX4 6 cyl. automatic Beige
1983 Eagle SX4-6cyl.- automatic Red 

1981  Eagle Sundancer- White
1981  Eagle Sundancer- Brown

1981 Eagle Kammback  6 cyl. Blue

1987 F-250
2007 F-150

1978 Chevy Corvette

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Iron Duke problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »
Clogged sock on the pickup in the fuel tank?
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
Crud in the line jamming the fuel pump inlet valve open? Crack in dist cap? (Note: Don't do this on a carb with a powervalve) Cross #1 and #4 plug wires at the cap, start it and make it backfire twice then shut off and put the wires correct.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GreatcarSX4

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »
I removed the tank. Even though it was resealed, It was still rusty. Sent it to Moyers in Greensburg Pa. to be totally redone. Where can I get the sock for on the inside

1987 F-250
2007 F-150

1978 Chevy Corvette

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
Not sure what yours looks like, but I got one for my wagon by ordering one for an '84 Grand Wagoneer from http://bjsoffroad.com as they have a couple different ones.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-310.htm

I wonder if this sender would work?
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-472.htm

at any rate, I ran my Jeep without a sock for years by putting a see through filter in the line right before the fuel pump where it's easily accessible and can be seen to be clogged, filled with water or not. Just get 1 size bigger than your fuel line and new hose while you're at it. The bigger filter opening allows crud in while the same size can block up if a bigger chunk comes up the line (fooled me once. I thought my pump was shot)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:52:04 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GreatcarSX4

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Ok

Fuel tank was fixed and repaired for about $387.00. New sock in tank, new filter. Still doesnt seem to take it when you mash it down.  I still think there is an issue with the carb. Here is my question. Do these carbs. work with the flap totally open, or slightly closed. I found that slightly closed is somewhat better but but if you go too far, then you cannot adjust the curb idle. It is not on choke idle either. Any ideals?

Thanks

1987 F-250
2007 F-150

1978 Chevy Corvette

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
Wish I could see it.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
Flap should be totally open when warmed up.   Since it helps to close the choke a bit, that tells me that the issue may be either low fuel pressure (don't assume a new pump is OK out of the box), a vacuum leak somewhere, or the carb is messed up.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 03:06:35 AM »
My iron Duke sits in an 80 monza.its swealing bad ind I think it's in the crank.I'm wanting to swap to the mercruiser 3.0 so anybody that can help can I'm me here or email me at creeper0629@gmail. Com.thanks

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
I would pull the belt off and see if the squeal goes away.

Offline Creepingmonza

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »
I got a squel in my Duke as well.new belts new alternator new water pump,and still the squel is there.it does it on acceleration only.I think it may be in my crank.wish I had the answer bud as I have the same issue lol.my Duke was the 79,verijet 2 carb.horse power sucks and it can't climb hills but it runs like a champ.for its age. If anybody has vacuum hose diagrams for that Duke pm me or email me at [email protected]'t find them anywhere. And it is sad your Duke don't have a mechanical fuel pump.I love that dumb thing.its the toughest part of my car lol.I love this engine and get I hate it so lol.and the govener, anybody know how I can disable it?mine is so annoying. I'll explane in a pm more on that.on your Duke is the carb tuned right?and vacuum routing intact? Seemed like those two things are touchy on my Duke.oil viscosity is a big thing at least on mine.book calls for 5 40 in the winter and 10 40 in the summer.if I don't do it my car runs like crap.another thing may be to check the air filter.I know mine burns oil and also thows oil residue in my air filter.I'm thinking on ways to either bypass the system or make a pre filter to trap the oil so I can save my air filter.just adding my experience with my Duke,I hope it helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk